Weekend Jukebox: Canuck Edition (Reasons to love/hate Canada)

Murali

Murali did his undergraduate degree in molecular biology with a minor in biophysics from the National University of Singapore (NUS). He then changed direction and did his Masters in Philosophy also at NUS. Now, he is currently pursuing a PhD in Philosophy at the University of Warwick.

1. Avatar sonmi451 says:

Ehh, I would have agreed with you on Ms Dion if you had gone with the Titanic theme song.Report

2. Avatar Jonathan says:

Funny, I consider ‘Please Forgive Me’ to be a reason to hate Bryan Adams. Gimme some ‘Summer of 69’, please.

(There’s no saving Celine Dion. I’ve hated her career since the first time I heard Ziggy.)Report

3. I have to admit, I’m surprised there isn’t a music video of William Shatner in here. In terms of pure musical pain, one is hard to surpass his covers of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds or Mr. Tambourine Man.

This is not to say that Shatner has not redeemed himself a million times over for these egregious crimes (I think he has) but they are a good example of Canada’s destructive influence on all things musical.Report

4. Avatar BlaiseP says:

Love ’em or hate ’em, Rush was a fine exponent of Canada’s musical offerings.Report

5. Avatar David Ryan says:

This is the best Canadian band there is. One of the best rock bands, period.Report

6. Avatar Rufus F. says:

I’m planning a radio show here to play 60s garage rock, punk, power pop, and new garage. The Canadian content laws are really a thorn in my side. Yes, there are lots of good Canadian rock bands, but getting together 30% Canadian songs is a grind.Report

7. Avatar Jon Rowe says:

I think you could do a lot better than Bryan Adams to represent good Canadian music.  How about 1. Neil Young; 2. The Band (excusing the fact that their drummer/vocalist was a Southern American); and 3. Rush.  Hell I like Triumph better than Bryan Adams.Report

8. Avatar Jon Rowe says:

“The Canadian content laws…”  They still have this?  It would be good to know.  I teach this in my Global Environment of Business class and wanted to check to make sure my info was still current (hadn’t yet gotten around to it).Report

9. Avatar dexter says:

I can’t believe that nobody mentioned Paul Schaefer as one of the Canadian musicians that need to be hated.  I am an old guy so besides Neil and the Band I think  that Joni Mitchell and Ian and Sylvia should be on the Iove them side.Report