Pensacola Blues

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar greginak

Well if the dogs were entering someones house without a warrant then fire away i say.Report

2. Avatar krogerfoot

We were talking on another thread about Pensacola and what an awful, awful place it was. I believe someone felt this was incorrect and was about to defend the place’s charms, but I missed that counterpoint.Report

3. Avatar Damon

Meh,
    Don’t see why you’re dumping on Pensacola. Unjustified shootings like this take place all over the country and cops routinely kill animals (even those posting no threat).Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

The deputies came to Middleton’s house around 2:42 a.m. after a neighbor saw him reaching into the car and called 911.

I’m having a hard time picturing this. Just how long was he rummaging around inside the car looking for those cigarettes?Report

• Avatar morat20 in reply to Mike Schilling

Why would you call 911 to report someone reaching into their own car? Or any car in his own driveway?

If a guy was reaching into MY car or a car in MY driveway, I’d call 911 if I didn’t know him. But who is up at 2:00 AM calling the cops on the goings-on in other people’s cars and driveways? And why?Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to morat20

Like I said, I can’t add up what we know and come out with anything that makes sense. Can we pretend he’s a dead black teenager and speculate wildly?Report

• Avatar morat20 in reply to morat20

I’ll tell you one thing — I’m not a fan of Michael Moore, but the one thing he is dead right on is that American has — and heavily promotes — a culture of fear.

One only has to watch the teasers for network or local news (“Are there child predators driving your kids school bus? Are you being poisoned at lunch by your Starbucks coffee? Stay tuned to find out at 11:00” (answer: no)).

Summer of the shark and whatnot.

Whatever prompted this bit of stupidity is unknown, but I know a lot of flat-out terrified folks who have literally nothing to be scared of. They’d be the sorts to call 911 because seeing some guy digging around in a car at 2:00 AM could only be a burglar, a rapist, or a murderer. No other possibility.Report

5. Avatar Murali

Pensacola… Isn’t it some kind of carbonated beverage?Report