An observation

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Tod Kelly

You got to meet Lyle Lovett?  Oh man, I am jealous.Report

• Avatar E.D. Kain in reply to Tod Kelly

Yeah, it was pretty neat.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to E.D. Kain

I saw Lyle at Red Rocks about 15 years ago. Awesome show. We initially had seats in row 40ish but decided to move down to the front, sitting on the ‘aisle’ right in front of the stage. A lady behind me kept gently kicking me in the back, to tell me to move closer to the stage, I guess, so I did. When the Security guys came by to rustle us out, I looked at them, then at Lyle, who nodded at me sorta smiling, and pointed at him saying “Look, Lyle said it’s OK!” The security guys moved on to confiscate beers from minors and left us there for the rest of the show.Report

• Avatar RTod in reply to Stillwater

Lyle is the guy my wife and I have seen the most together; I think maybe 4 or 5 times?Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to RTod

I just want to say that “Joshua Judges Ruth” is up there for the best album names ever.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to RTod

Hey, she’s no lady, she’s my wife. A buddy of mine got married to that song. I’ve always appreciated the devastating humor of having the words ‘I pronounce you 99 to life’ sung during nuptials.

Have you ever seen Robert Earl Keen live? I’m proud to say I’ve seen him at some of the raunchiest honky tonks in the mountain west region. His take on the porch song is always a good time.

• Avatar RTod in reply to Stillwater

I’m a little chagrined to say I have never even heard of him, but sounds like he is worth a listen?Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to RTod

Off the top of my head:

If I Had A Boat
                Creeps Like Me
                Skinny Legs
                Step Inside This House

Start with those four and you’ll be hooked forever.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Jaybird

Ah, dangit. You meant Robert Earl Keen.

Apologies.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to Jaybird

Those songs are a whole slew of goodness. And you mentioned Step Inside this House. A bunch of songs on that album were written by a guy I used to go river rafting with: Steve Fromholz. he’s an old Texas troubadour who lived in the town of Terlingua, Tx., which is where I hve my ‘second’ home.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to Stillwater

Maybe that should read – second ‘home’.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Stillwater

If you see him again, let him know that he’s still dragging people to enlightenment or something like it.

That song is wonderful.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Stillwater

Damn, Sillwater, you like Robert Earl Keen and whitewater rafting?  You just moved to the top of my favorite liberals list.  Tell me when to come out for a visit.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to James Hanley

One upon a time, I was *this close* to combining rafting and Robert Earl. I used to guide commercially at a company based in Terlingua that did 2-4 day music trips thru the big canyons on the border. We took lots of pretty-famous Texas musicians down river – Jerry Jeff Walker, Nancy Griffith, Peter Rowan, Steve Fromholz, Robert Earl. I was a late add-on to the trip, but then got bumped off after a few cancellations. Bummer.

Afterwards, the guides were saying that “The trip goes on forever and the party never starts”. I guess he fished when he was supposed to be singing and went to bed right after supper, leaving his drunk and adoring fans to sing his songs without him.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to Stillwater

Robert Earl and Lyle were roommates during their time at Texas A&M, co-wrote the Porch Song, share tall tales. He’s pretty dern good in his own right.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Stillwater

I love that song, it’s one of my favorite songs ever.  This verse especially:

And this old porch is like a steaming, greasy plate of enchiladas
                With lots of cheese and onions
                And a guacamole salad
                And you can get’em down at the LaSalle Hotel
                In old downtown
                With iced tea and a waitress
                And she will smile every time

I always loved the way that the urge to make every verse rhyme didn’t get in the way here.  Especially since the rest of the song rhymes, it kind of punches the the imagery in this verse.  I find it masterful.

• Avatar Plinko in reply to Tod Kelly

So, it’s sad that I’m way more jealous you met Tyler Cowen? He’s tops on my list of people I’d want to have for a dinner party.Report

• Avatar E.D. Kain in reply to Plinko

Not at all. It was very cool to meet Tyler Cowen. He’s a fascinating guy. The debate between him and Erik Brynjolffson was fantastic. A real high point of the whole conference.Report

• Avatar Roger in reply to E.D. Kain

Thanks for sharing the debate.

I was surprised to hear Tyler say firing unproductive people wasn’t good for the economy, and was surprised Erik didn’t talk more about the unquantifiable nature of the increasingly virtual nature of the economy. Much of what I consume is now either free or almost free. Standard economics is laughably inadequate to measure the transition from having 50 cassette tapes to unlimited free downloads, or from Pong to Modern Warfare 2.

And the virtual transition has only just begun.Report

2. Avatar wardsmith

Re: Techonomy, wanted to post this days ago but got sidetracked.Report