Heavenly!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Phaedros says:

Thank you for posting this.
    I was listening to The Four Seasons only last week, but am unfamiliar with the other works linked.Report

2. Avatar Michael Cain says:

As well as a composer, Vivaldi was a virtuoso violinist who made dramatic expansions of technique for the instrument. I admit to a preference for Corelli myself, but I’m a concerti grossi kind of guy.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain says:

Looked out the front window before I pulled the shades. Across the yards that I can see, seven rabbits. Elmer Fudd had the right idea.

3. Avatar George Turner says:

One of the violinists playing the above RV 580 II (Concerto for 4 violins in B-minor) has a ponytail (seen at the 3:12 mark). I’m pretty sure that it is actually a mullet, probably put up at the insistence of the conductor. If the guy has a mullet, is he playing a violin or is he playing a fiddle?Report

• I don’t know offhand. I’ll have to mullet over.Report

• Avatar George Turner says:

You win three Internets!

I was tempted to suggest that maybe someone with a mullet should be playing a piece written by somebody with a name like “Karl Jenkins” instead of “Antonio Vivaldi”.

BTW, Karl Jenkins reminds me a lot of Vivaldi. You’ve heard Palladio as the theme in De Beers diamond commercials for years.Report

• Cognitive dissonance all over.

1. Your linking mullets with Karl Jenkins made me think he’s from West Virginia.
          2. Looked him up: he’s a British knight from Wales.
          3. He looks like Captain Kangaroo.Report

4. Avatar Michael Drew says:

There have been some really exhilarating new recordings of The Four Seasons recently. Usually with smaller ensembles, obviously doing historically-informed interpretations, and playing with a kind of unguarded energy that I associate with Led Zeppelin or Guns n’ Roses, especially on the part of the ensemble players. You really hear the hunting hounds barking and so forth. Unfortunately they come and go on the radio too quickly for me to have gotten any names down. But they’ve led to a renewed interest in these classics, which were part of the soundtrack of my youth, on my part.Report