100 Favorite Films To Recommend Part 1: The 1920s

Luis A. Mendez

Luis A. Mendez

Published Author Of Both Fiction And Non-Fiction - Dealing In Fantastical Tales, Film Criticism, And U.S/UK Psephology

1. Avatar Aaron David

A few of these are films I had heard about, read about, but never scene. I (now that I have time…) will look for some of them. Thanks for the recomendation.

And one of the nice things about silent films on Youtube is you don’t get distracted by wierd accents or bad dubbing. I watched The Battleship Potemkin (1925) recently, and it was good fun.Report

2. Avatar rexknobus

May I suggest for further viewing: 1926’s “The Bat” (and its remake by the same director as a talkie in 1930: “The Bat Whispers.”) Rather amazing films and relatively unknown. Lots of interesting details to make these worth watching (check out the director’s history, writers’ credits, connection to the “Dracula” phenomenon, etc.) and some amazing visuals. They aren’t “good,” necessarily, but very different than what you might expect from the time. Well worth the time.Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling

1929: The Coconuts

OK, it’s not very good, what with the cheesy production numbers, stagey acting, and “no one could possibly care about this” love story. But it is our earliest view of the Marx Brothers and contains some classic bits, notably “Why a Duck?”.Report

4. Avatar PD Shaw

I happened to notice Calagari this morning on cable after reading this article and watched. I did mostly enjoy it; the set designs often stole the scene. I’m not sure about the ending, but that’s mainly because its a type of ending I tend never to like, but it was executed well.Report

5. Avatar Rufus F.

I’ll have to check out Wings. It sounds great and, if it’s a better pick for 1927 than Metropolis, then I gotta see it.

I actually just watched Dr. Caligari- as in minutes ago- and it’s really a marvel of production design. One fun thing about silent movies is you can add your own soundtrack. I played an album by the Italian prog-horror soundtrack band Goblin and it fit perfectly. Great film!Report

6. Avatar Kristin Devine

No visit to the 20’s would be complete without a shout out for Buster Keaton.

One of the things I really enjoy about watching very old movies is seeing how familiar the facial expressions are. It really brings it home that the people of the past thought and felt as we do, and reacted the same way to situations, in a way that still photos really don’t. Some might say we’re just used to it because the tropes have survived all this time, but I find it speaks to some commonality in human reaction across time and space.

Great piece BTW Luis! Looking forward to seeing the next installment.Report

1. April 19, 2020

[…] looking back through the 1920s and the 1930s to pick out my favorite films from each year, i’m now looking at the 1940s. A […]Report

2. April 26, 2020

[…] of every film that happens to be my favorite of its release year with ten more classics. With the 1920s, an era where the film industry became a favorite pasttime for Americans, I noticed my favorite […]Report

3. May 4, 2020

[…] made itself a popular past time in the 1920s, a decade in which my favorite films tended to be morality tales. In the 1930s, it became ingrained […]Report

4. May 10, 2020

[…] my favorite movies from the 1970s. If you haven’t yet please do read my similar lists for the 1920s, the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1950s, and the 1960s. The goal of this series is to hopefully help […]Report

5. May 17, 2020

[…] of my favorite movies from the 1980s. If you haven’t yet please do read my similar lists for the 1920s, the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1950s, the 1960s. and the 1970s. The goal of this series is to […]Report

6. May 24, 2020

[…] of my favorite movies from the 1990s. If you haven’t yet please do read my similar lists for the 1920s, the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1950s, the 1960s. the 1970s, and the 1980s. The goal of this series […]Report

7. June 7, 2020

[…] end of this series on my favorite films from each year in the last hundred years of cinema. With the twenties I tended to like movies about morality tales; with the thirties I tended to like horror classics; […]Report

8. October 7, 2020

[…] of these villainous creatures. And some of their films even popped up this past Summer when I was writing about my favorite films from each year in cinema. Unfortunately, the 2017 Mummy reboot ended up being an average non-special film in my eyes, not […]Report