Listed: AOC, The Met Gala, and That Dress
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has made a name for herself for staying on brand, being smart, getting our attention, and playing the media–social and mainstream–game in a way that sucks people right in.
So, let’s take a look at AOC’s controversial dress from her Met Gala appearance, but from a different view point.
- Ms. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez or as we commonly know her AOC is staying on brand in this dress. That is a point in her favor.
- The style suits her figure
- It is relatively modest compared to many others at the Gala.
- She is a pretty lady, and she is smarter than most of her detractors.
- She is energetic enough to have made it to Congress the old fashioned way, unseating an established incumbent by walking the district and knocking on doors — how many of her detractors would be willing to do that?
Now somethings we do and do not know:
- We know tickets to the Gala were $30,000 each!
- We don’t know if AOC actually paid to attend but chances are she was an invited guest to gain publicity and didn’t pay anything.
- UPDATE! We do know it was gratis.
The medium is the message. pic.twitter.com/b4Ssr6HkYR
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) September 14, 2021
- We know the dress was created by Brother Vellies
- We do not what the dress is worth–most gowns/dresses worn at these events are not typically owned by the wearer but loaned to them by the designer.
- We know that Brother Vellies creates $1,000 plus hand bags so most likely for her this is cheap advertising–hey, we are talking a lot about her work aren’t we?
Galas, award shows, etc, are really designed for a few things:
- Attention–and we give it to them.
- Self promotion–why do you think they wear such weird things? To drag the cameras away from others in attendance.
- Branding. That’s it.
We eat it up. We talk about it. We give them the attention they want. We are to blame for this, not them. Some like to attack AOC just to attack her and will use any reason to, but to me, Ms. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez stayed on brand, she stayed classy, and she got our attention. Bravo and kudos to her; she played us and we were sucked right in.
Remember me saying AOC is smart? There is all the proof you need.