Weekend Plans Post: Getting in bar fights with Icelanders over whether Kiss is a better band than Sigur Rós

Jaybird

1. Doctor Jay

I see your point, but I do not call what you are describing “doing nothing”. If what you are doing is watching things, that is not nothing. It is devalued culturally, but still quite interesting and valuable. It is a close relative of meditation. You empty out your things and just experience the world: What is happening around you. What is that crab doing? How many flies are there on the wall?

This is a supremely soothing thing to do. For me, anyway.Report

• Jaybird in reply to Doctor Jay

This feels to me like coming up with another way to say “I’m not idle!”

It’s still saying “No, this is important.”

I want to be able to just sit there like a blob and do something useless for an hour or so. Like, and not have to come up with a justification.Report

• Doctor Jay in reply to Jaybird

And I would like you to be able to do it, and yet not be judgemental about “this is useless”.Report

• Maribou in reply to Doctor Jay

But saying that it is useless is only judgmental if things ought to have a use…

(Not that I think you should agree with him about the activity’s usefulness. Just. It’s not necessarily bad to be purposeless, useless, etc.)Report

2. Fish

“I think that “doing nothing” has become severely devalued in the modern era.”

Abso-fishing-lutely.Report

3. fillyjonk

Before I can consider doing “nothing” (which I have never been good at), I need to clean house this weekend, and mow the lawn, and prepare for some travel (visiting my mom) the middle of next week.

Classes are done. I didn’t sign up for graduation (they used to require us to go, now we need to sign up) on the grounds that going to see my mom (in her 80s) less than a week after that, it’s no time to risk a super spreader event (several hours inside a basketball arena with several thousand people from all over and few people masked – probably less likely to spread than in a more enclosed space, but still). I used to like going to graduation and I suppose I will again someday, but right now it doesn’t feel right for me.Report

4. InMD

I find doing nothing impossible. It is both a gift and a curse. It has been passed to my son who knows no state of being between human impression of hummingbird and exhausted oblivion. I see his condition as something to aspire to and there is no better way to squeeze every last drop out of life.

As for me I am going to see a grossly under appreciated metal band this evening hailing from the hills of West Virginia. It will be my second concert since covid and I am excited, even if I will be an old greybeard sipping my beer in the back. The rest of the weekend looks like it will be a wash out. Hopefully it won’t ruin the mother’s day visits and related festivities on Sunday.Report

5. InMD

Wow, apparently add seeing a historic upset at the Kentucky Derby to the itinerary. That was wild. Maybe I’ll place a bet for Preakness.Report