In A Blow To All That Is Good In The World, Betty White Dead at 99

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonder and Home. Andrew is the host of Heard Tell podcast.

1. North

Damn, first Harry Reid and now this. 2021 isn’t as bad as 2020 but it’s trying hard.Report

2. veronica d

Dammit to heck. She was such a bright light.

RIP Ms. White. You will be missed.Report

3. Fish

Ugh. Dammit. Condolences to…well…all of us.Report

4. CJColucci

I wonder if people who die at 99-plus, with some notice that it’s going to happen, find it frustrating to realize that they’re not going to make it to 100? Do people who die shortly before a Presidential election, or the Super Bowl, and know that they won’t live to see the result, feel a special pang of regret that they would not feel if they died a week or so later?Report

5. Oscar Gordon

Well, shit…Report

6. Mike Schilling

2021 also took Ed Asner, Cloris Leachman, and Gavin MacLeod. That’s the whole cast gone, except for John Amos (Gordy the weather guy.)Report

7. Brandon Berg

When I heard that Betty White had kicked the bucket, my first thought was, “How’s the bucket?”Report

8. Burt Likko

I saw one thing on the Twitters this morning that lessened my sadness — we (the public) made it abundantly clear to Betty White just how much we loved her while she was alive.Report

9. Mike Schilling

Betty White playing against type. This is so funny I almost hurt myself laughing.

10. Pinky

I was not a fan of her work. Maybe it was just her era, but she always seemed to be pushing the boundaries of bad taste. I never watched The Golden Girls, where I guess she was the one main character who didn’t get the cheap laughs by being obnoxious or trampy, but that was her kind of character in most everything else she did.Report

11. Bobby