The Maximum MacGuffin of Red Notice

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonder and Home. Andrew is the host of Heard Tell podcast.

1. Slade the Leveller

I did take the win the other day. A nice, fluffy way to kill 2 hours, while downing some popcorn. There’s no slow moments at all, and I’m looking forward to the further adventures of Reynolds, Johnson, and Gadot.Report

2. Kristin Devine

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Ryan Reynolds? I feel the rest of the world is in on a secret I am not privy to.Report

3. Oscar Gordon

I think you could take this whole review and easily edit it for “The Hitman’s Bodyguard”.Report

4. Marchmaine

Wife and I watched Enola Holmes the other day, and instantly regretted not watching Red Notice.

The Holmes movie managed to combine bad acting with an implausibly boring plot, a love story as compelling as the one between Frankenstein and his Monstoer, and a Feminist ending only a Patriarch could enjoy (I at least chuckled)… all the while feeling like being preached at by a Seminarian working from class notes.

Predictably Holmes enjoys a 91% critic / 70% audience score … probably not quite the reverse ratio that Red Notice will see … but I will at least appreciate that Red Notice knows what it’s doing and does it well – compared to the Holmes fiasco.Report

5. Saul Degraw

May I recommend Pickup on South Street? The entire thing is available on Youtube and has great roles for Richard Windmark, Jean Peters, and Thelma Ritter.

6. Jaybird

Maribou and I made a date and we watched Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

It was a pretty good Marvel movie, I guess. Fun characters, some really awesome fight scenes (the fight on the bus is worth the price of admission), and some surprisingly strong writing of the villain (seriously, I found myself understanding why he was doing what he was doing).

Well, the first 90% was pretty good. The last 10% of the movie was confusing as hell. It’s like you signed up to watch this Jackie Chan Kung Fu movie and you end up with this weird cosmic battle thing going on.

But that’s okay. the first 90% of the movie was *NOT* confusing and a mouthful of cotton candy.Report

• DensityDuck in reply to Jaybird

I think my favorite thing so far was the bus driver on Twitter who did a shot-by-shot of the bus fight scene and explained how it would or wouldn’t happen the way it did.Report

• Brent F in reply to Jaybird

It’s kinda weird they’re so stuck on the third act blow out as part of the formula, since the consensus seems to be its the one part of a winning combination that lets down the team.

They even found a much better way of doing it once in Civil War. The big showcase blowout is in the middle where it has time to breath, be fun, and be appreciated on its own terms rather than being weighed down with the demands of a climax. Then the finale can be about being the finale.Report

• Oscar Gordon in reply to Brent F

I agree, it’s nice if the showcase happens at the end of act 2, so act 3 can be wrapping things up (unless, of course, act 2 is split between two movies). I’m not a huge fan of wrapping things up quickly, or in post credit scenes (I like the mid & post credit scenes to be teasers).Report