Prince Philip Dead at 99

Andrew Donaldson

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonder and Home.

1. Avatar North

He was a character. It’s sad but I’m mostly heartsick for HRM. I have known a number of long standing couples in my life and at these ages one seldom much outlived the other and I am not ready for the Queen to pass on. It’ll be the ending of an era.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to North

Odd to think that I’ll be 70 in less than three years, and Elizabeth has been Queen my entire life. My wife and I had our 40th anniversary last year. 50 seems doable. 60 requires both of us to beat the odds on family longevity.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Michael Cain

My dad died in his late fifties though I am optimistic that I can beat that deal because I haven’t spent my early life as exposed to interesting chemicals as he was.

My beloved Grandmother was a devote royalist and I absorbed her attitude stock and barrel. When, God(ess?) forbid, the Queen passes away it’ll feel like an echo of losing my Grandmother.

Also Charles just can’t measure up to his mum, poor dude.Report

• Avatar Brandon Berg in reply to North

What do you mean when you said that your grandmother was a royalist? Just that she was very fond of the royal family, or that she supported a return to a more monarchical form of government?Report

• Avatar North in reply to Brandon Berg

I was born and raised in Canada (half American) and my Grandmother was a Royalist. Canada has an unelected Monarch its the head of state and my Grandmother thought the system was the bees knees. Queen Elizabeth II was like an absent extra member of the family.Report

• Avatar Marchmaine in reply to North

We forget (I know I certainly do) that Prince Philippos had some significant Royal ‘chops’ belonging to both the Royal houses of Greece and Denmark.

My family were staunch Greek Royalists and I have a battered picture of my Great Grandfather (artist) with a young Prince Constantine I (c. 1890s) in the palace they are decorating. King Constantine was Philip’s Uncle. My Great Grandfather broke tradition and named my Grandfather, Constantine after his patron.

Interestingly, my Grand Mother’s family fled Smyrna in 1922 as a result of King Constantine’s failed attack on Kemal’s Ankara.

Not sure if the families spoke of these matters one they were in America.Report

• Avatar James K in reply to North

It is a reminder that that generation isn’t merely passing, its all but passed. The queen may reign for a few years yet, but a decade seems unlikely. All of the countries that still hold to the Monarchy need to be prepared for the change in rulers, including I suspect, the severely reduced enthusiasm for the monarchy that King Charles will bring.Report

• Avatar North in reply to James K

It is entirely possible, though obviously poor Charles is going to be destined for a far shorter reign than his mother enjoyed. William seems like a strong hand to take the reins after a short Charles era.Report

2. Avatar Kazzy

DMX passed, too. Heaven is missing some angels.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Kazzy

My mother lived in a modest town/city with a weekly newspaper from her early 40s until she died at age 92 last year. She did develop the habit of opening the local weekly to the obituaries first, to see who else she had outlived. I have moved often enough over the years, and then my wife and I moved, that single easy sources are no longer available. Particularly because of my wife’s memory issues, I have started a notebook for my children titled “Things to Know If Dad Dies.” Paper, because leaving a note that says, “Log onto Dad’s Linux box, fire up a terminal window, and run the command ‘scraps’ to get to his antique self-coded free-form database” is problematic. Among those pages I’m working on a list of e-mail addresses and/or web sites where comments can be left (including one for Ordinary Times) with instructions to notify those people.Report