Sunday Morning! “Time Regained” by Marcel Proust

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does many things. He is the author of the forthcoming book "The Paris Bureau" from Dio Press (early 2021).

1. Avatar InMD

This was a beautiful piece Rufus, as was the entire series. My wife and I were actually touching on some similar topics on Friday. Our son was staying at his grandmother’s so for once we had some uninterrupted conversation. The big take away for me was a conundrum. I often look back at some of the more aimless eras and while I enjoyed them plenty wish I would’ve taken some direction a bit more swiftly than I did. Like, I’m glad for the first 2 years of it but wouldn’t the last 2 have been better spent starting the life I’m living now? Every time I’m chasing down an increasingly agile child I can’t help but envy those who did it in their late 20s, and lament that I now have to struggle through it in my late 30s.

At the same time, but for my ultimate dissatisfaction with impoverished hedonism I may not have appreciated what I needed to in order to move forward.

Anyway, thanks for writing these, and happy Easter!Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to InMD

Thanks so much and happy Easter to you!

I do regret not having a kid when I was young enough, although I suspect it would have just prolonged things with my ex-wife and made that harder. That’s the only thing I feel it’s too late for. Otherwise, I tend to think we should normalize late blooming!Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

This is an amazing series. Top notch. Thank you!Report

3. Avatar Slade the Leveller

I just finished Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell, who’s more famous for Cloud Atlas. It’s been a long while since I tore through a novel as fast as I did with this one. Highly recommended.Report

4. Avatar dhex

bravo rufus! This has been a great series to read.

i’m wondering if a) you’ve ever read mishima’s sea of fertility tetrology (sp?, it’s four books) and b) if anyone’s ever done a deep dive into the similarities (and significant differences) with proust.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to dhex

Tetralogy? I think that’s it.

I’ve read the last one, The Decay of the Angel, which was probably a dumb idea. I definitely could stand to dive into them, since I do like Mishima. And that sounds like a fascinating idea.

After this Proust project, though, I might need a few weeks to just watch Marx Brothers movies!Report

• Avatar dhex in reply to Rufus F.

while i really think sailor who fell from grace with the sea is his masterpiece (and confessions of a mask is a remarkable first outing, no pun intended), and the usual kind thoughts about his short stories and temple of the golden pavilion, the sea of fertility series is both very good and obviously somewhat chilling, given what happened only hours after turning in the final book copy.Report