Owned On Facebook By My Mother: A Tribute

Em Carpenter

Em was one of those argumentative children who was sarcastically encouraged to become a lawyer, so she did. She is a proud life-long West Virginian, and, paradoxically, a liberal. In addition to writing about society, politics and culture, she enjoys cooking, podcasts, reading, and pretending to be a runner. She will correct your grammar. You can find her on Twitter.

1. Kristin Devine

This is beautiful.

I feel like we ate the same dinner just with different seasonings. 🙂Report

2. Susara Blommetjie

A very special post. Thank you.

I could not have had a more different upbringing than yours; my childhood household was a very stable, very middle class, very proper matriarchy. For which I am thankful, because I don’t know if I would have been as forgiving and understanding as you.

I sometimes tell myself that, doesn’t matter how much I skrew up, as long as my boys know that me and their father deeply love them, they’ll be ok. Because I really quite desperately need that to be true.Report

3. Damon

I say this with the upmost respect. Your mom sounds like a “tough old broad”. I think she’d be a hoot to meet. 🙂Report

4. Michael Cain

Great post! What came to mind from my own youth was my father the former Navy senior petty officer, and my high school band instructor the former Army master sergeant, who could both look at you and say in a particular tone of voice, “You can do better.” And make you feel lower than dirt.Report

5. North

Your mom sounds like an amazing lady.Report

6. Laura Gadbery

We might be long lost sisters. Or cousins or something.Report

7. Slade the Leveller

What a great piece of writing. I could feel your love. I hope she got to read it.Report