All She Wants To Do Is Dance

Will Truman

Will Truman is the Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. He is also on Twitter.

1. Avatar veronica d

Honestly, it’s tragic and horrible. How many people will be crushed under dictatorship? It’s awful.Report

• Avatar Trumwill in reply to veronica d

Yes, the underlying situation itself seems very unfortunate.

• Avatar Kristin Devine in reply to Trumwill

The ability to see humor in a terrible situation is what keeps some of us human.

Those who are kept human by some other thing entirely should keep their &*%^*& mouths shut and busy themselves clutching their pearls.Report

• Avatar veronica d in reply to Kristin Devine

That’s true up to a point, but not beyond that point. For example, if I showed up at the funeral of a dead kid wearing a clown costume and making dick jokes, I don’t think the bereaved would be okay with it. Moreover, I think there is a difference between laughter over shared suffering and laughing at the suffering of others. Those are not the same thing.

Contrapoints did a video on this broader topic. It’s worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj7LDYaufM&t=471s

I recommend anyone who is interested in this topic to take a look.

(To be clear, I have no problem with Will Truman. He found the situation funny. I found it horrifying. Both are valid.)Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to veronica d

OTOH, I actually laughed out loud just thinking about it.Report

• Avatar veronica d in reply to Stillwater

And that’s fine. But note I’m talking about some hypothetical kid, not an actual real kid. I have no problem with dark humor. I’ve made my fair share of edgy jokes.

My only point is this: the situation in Myanmar horrifies me. That’s it.Report

2. Avatar Damon

The video of Tiananmen square is/was much more tragic. This is just silly.Report

3. Avatar Kolohe

Golf clap for the headline.Report