From The American Prospect: The Establishment Strikes Back

Jaybird

1. Avatar Doctor Jay

Anna Eshoo happens to be the Rep from my own district. She is pretty darn “establishment” as far as the Democratic caucus is concerned. (So is Nadler, for that matter)

So I’m not sure that I’d endorse the framing that makes Rice part of the “establishment” and AOC the “insurgent”. This is a little intra-caucus squabble, which is normal and inevitable, between ideological elements that are different, but not as different as the press likes to make them out.Report

2. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Sounds like to me that AOC needs to remember that she has to work with these people, and that means when you take a shot at them (as one is wont to do), don’t miss.

This is what happens when you miss.Report

• Avatar Doctor Jay in reply to Oscar Gordon

This is my point above. I don’t think AOC “took a shot” at Rice. I think it’s the other way around. I think Rice has taken other shots, such as the one at Pelosi’s leadership, which missed. And this one will miss, too.Report

3. Avatar Ken S

Would someone please explain the process by which committee assignments are made? The cited story implies that they are determined by a vote of something called the Steering Committee. If that is so, how are the member of this committee determined, and who is on it now?Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Ken S

The Wikipedia has a loosey-goosey version of the official process.

Roll Call had an article back in 2014 that got a little more into the nitty-gritty… but, if I had to guess, the real process has a lot to do with what would probably look like corruption to someone who wasn’t terribly cynical.

Here’s a clip from a 90’s Eddie Murphy movie that I thought was kinda funny.

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Jaybird

I didn’t see mentioned that House Republicans have term limits for their members serving as committee chairs. This has contributed to the larger number of Republican members not running for reelection in recent years. It seems giving up the perks that go with a chairmanship — office size and location, bigger staff — is unpleasant.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Michael Cain

Huh. I didn’t know that.

(And, in addition to perks, I imagine you’re also giving up institutional knowledge. I have sat through a handful of “we don’t need to give a raise to Bob, let him leave! We’ll just hire some fresh-faced graduate!” transitions at a handful of Global Conglomerate companies and, lemme tell ya, Bob was worth the raise.)Report