From Westword: House of Representatives Approves Marijuana Legalization

Jaybird

1. Avatar Fish

Congressman Doug Lamborn (Empty Suit Old School Drug Warrior, Colorado 5th), does not approve:

In Colorado, we have seen the devastating effects of marijuana. Dispensaries sit on the corners that once held churches, often down the street from schools, and our homeless population is growing by the day. Even worse, our country is in the midst of a serious drug use crisis. We cannot pass extreme and unwise legislation that will only exacerbate this problem as well as infringe upon states’ rights. The MORE Act opens the floodgates to marijuana cultivation, distribution, and sale across America.

“Furthermore, this bill would retroactively expunge federal marijuana convictions, potentially leading to the early release of convicted drug traffickers. We cannot continue to allow bad actors and criminal organizations to exploit our nation’s addiction crisis or endanger our youth. Even worse, the expanded use of marijuana amongst kids leads to extreme addiction rates and potentially long-term effects on the brain and mental health.

For my part, I’m toying with the idea of calling my company’s security officer and asking him if I can consume edibles when marijuana comes off of schedule 1.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Fish

Doug, gotta say: The homeless population is growing by the day because of the covid and evictions still going on despite the global pandemic.

You know, the more I read that, the more I honestly wonder if we teach about Prohibition in schools. Or, noticing that he’s 20 years my elder, wondering if they taught about it in the 60’s.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Fish

We cannot continue to allow bad actors […] to exploit our nation’s addiction crisis or endanger our youth.

And here I’d always though of Keanu Reeves as a pretty good guy.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Fish

“Dispensaries sit on the corners that once held churches]…”

I’d love to see one address that used to hold a church and now holds a dispensary. I own’t even ask that it be a corner or down the street from a school. Just show me the church-turned-dispensary. One will do.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Kazzy

I *MIGHT* give him a pass on this one. Colorado Springs has a large number of strip malls that have fallen into disuse over the last couple of decades. One of the things that pops up in empty strip mall spaces are churches. Another is dispensaries.

So I can easily imagine a strip mall church that gets replaced by a strip mall dispensary a few months later.

If you’re imagining a Methodist Church that was built to obviously be a Methodist Church and having that building replaced with a dispensary like that happened with that one KFC, I don’t think that there have been any of those…

But the strip mall temporary businesses bubble up and then back down with a huge amount of churn.Report

2. Avatar LeeEsq

I should note that this vote was along party lines with the Democratic Party voting for decriminalization and the Republican Party very much against it.Report