The Tenth Annual Mindless Diversions Unsolicited Shopping Guide

Jaybird

1. Bryan O'Nolan

I second World Central Kitchen and Innocence Project.Report

2. Slade the Leveller

For charity, I’d recommend your local food pantry. Ours has been inundated, and I bet yours has, too.Report

3. Oscar Gordon

Actually, the chainmail washcloth IS for cleaning. The metal is softer than the iron, so as long as you aren’t scrubbing with significant pressure, it won’t hurt the surface or seasoning, but it will knock the burned on crap loose.Report

• Jaybird in reply to Oscar Gordon

The joke I was going for was the distinction between washing and cleaning for cast iron pans.

You can *CLEAN* a cast iron pan. From time to time.

NEVER wash one.Report

• Oscar Gordon in reply to Jaybird

Ah, when you said “get the rust off”, I thought you had the wrong idea. It gets the ‘crust’ off.Report

• Philip H in reply to Jaybird

yep. When my wife and I were moving out of our apartment into our first house the landlords came over to “helpfully” clean. The husband turned on the self clean function of the oven, not realizing my well seasoned cast iron was inside. That stuff came out factory new, and I’ve been re-seasoning since.

No washing involved, but boy was it CLEAN!Report

4. Jaybird

If you are looking for music to share with your loved ones (or to tell your loved ones to get you), my advice is always something like “Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick never gets old!” but that advice might not be appropriate for everybody.

As such, here is Chris’s twitter thread with all of the music he enjoyed this year. Read the whole thing. He touches on pretty much every genre you’d be tempted by.