Saturday Spins: Led Zeppelin III

Christopher Bradley

Christopher Bradley

Christopher is a lawyer from NEPA, aka, Pennsultucky, He is an avid baseball fan, audiophile, and dog owner. He spends the majority of his free time with his wife and daughters, reading, listening to music, watching baseball (except the Yankees) and writing. If you wish to send him a positive missive, any errata concerning albums, or requests regarding albums: saturdayspins32 at gmail dot com

1. Avatar Michael Cain

Tangentially, we are in the process of moving and downsizing. The whole vinyl collection went to the local used vinyl shop last week, including Zep III. Granted, it hadn’t been played since it was (illegally) digitized some years ago…Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

I listened to Zeppelin a lot in the 80’s/90’s. A *LOT*. Like, to the point where I put the tape in my yellow “Sports” Walkman ™ and then it was an hour later and I didn’t remember what album I had just listened to. The songs became something that I knew by heart.

So I started listening to the tapes backwards. Suddenly, I had a host of new Zep albums to listen to as if for the first time. And I could *HEAR* them.

Here’s Kashmir backwards:

3. Avatar Pinky

Timeless? There are a lot of praiseworthy things to say about the band, but I’d never call them timeless. I think it’s because of the vocals. The band Rush came up yesterday, and they’re another one with an unconventional vocal sound, but they’ve aged a lot better. There was always something cringeworthy about Robert Plant’s style, and I guess I just got used to it back then, but now it jumps out at me.Report

• Avatar Aaron David

I would reverse the two.

I find Rush unlistenable both vocally and musically. But Plant vocals, even with having heard every album but Presence 50 bajillion times, still speaks of youth, youth tempering with age as the album progress.

All that said, there are very few tracks I can listen to with Zepplin anymore, and Gallows Pole is one of them.Report

• Avatar Slade the Leveller

I’ll agree with Aaron. Geddy Lee’s voice is just unlistenable, while Plant’s brings another good instrument to the musical palette.

I don’t think Zep is timeless, though. Their sound screams 1970s, and always will. The prime movers of cock rock.Report

• Avatar George Turner

I loved Led Zeppelin, but later in life found out I really couldn’t listen to a Led Zeppelin album more than once before I desperately wanted it to stop. Although I like a Zeppelin song every now and then, apparently “a block of Zeppelin” isn’t something I can tolerate anymore.

Likewise, Rush is almost unlistenable over the long haul. The music is technically intricate, the rhythm is great, but again, the voice is kind of niche, like listening to falsetto 50’s singers.

I would contrast them to The Doors, where Jim Morrison’s voice remains timeless, perhaps by being so very listenable yet ordinary, like it’s supposed to be the default singing voice that dads or uncles should have.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain

The thing about Morrison was that he was a poet and at least for the studio recordings he wanted you to hear the words. Drunk on stage, maybe not so much.

I have a voice that only an infant/toddler related by blood could enjoy, but by god at bedtime they could understand the words.Report

• Avatar Pinky

Where are you guys on Jon Anderson of Yes?Report

• Avatar DensityDuck

I feel like Zep can be described as “timeless” in the sense that no matter when you play a Zep hit people will get down to it.Report

4. Avatar Slade the Leveller

One other good thing to come from Wales is Super Furry Animals.Report

5. Avatar jason

“because whatever is coming out of Nashville these days is bubblegum pop music with some country-sounding melodies brushed on.”

#truthReport