Rock Legend Eddie Van Halen, Dead at 65

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonderandhome.com

1. Avatar DW Dalrymple

Great piece Andrew…Report

2. Avatar Chip Daniels

VH was very much a part of the soundtrack to my late adolescence; I was never a metalhead, but oh, that first album! It still features prominently in my playlist, for when I run and need that adrenaline rush or energy.

I can imagine a sort of Faulkner thought where, for an entire generation of boys not once but whenever he wants it, there is that moment when he hears the guitar spitting fire in Eruption and then the single second pause before the sledgehammer opening of You Really Got Me and he imagines himself being Eddie Van Halen, ablaze in glory and snarling virility.
    And no mater how old we get, it is always there in us.

This one hit me for some reason. Maybe because Eddie is just a few years my senior, but it is poignant to be at the age when our rock god heroes die not from overdoses or plane crashes but just the normal humble workings of age.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

I remember an interview with Axl Rose in the 90’s where he was talking about Slash. He said that what drew him to Slash was that Slash was the only guitarist he knew who wasn’t trying to be Eddie Van Halen.

Eddie Van Halen was the guy that, for a decade or so, every guitarist was trying to be.Report

4. Avatar Michael Cain

Excellent, Andrew.

I hate it when rock gods die. I hate it even more when they die younger than I am.Report

5. Avatar Aaron David

A fitting tribute to an often great, troubled genius.

RIP.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

From David Lee Roth:

7. Avatar Oscar Gordon

I never wanted to learn to play a guitar, but EVH always looked like he was having such a good time, I was sorely tempted to pick it up.Report

8. Avatar Fish