Ireland’s Got a Beef with Subway’s Bread

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonderandhome.com

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon

10% Shit, that ain’t bread, that’s a muffin! I make bread at home all the time, and at most I use a tablespoon or two of sugar to feed the yeast.Report

• Avatar DensityDuck

seriously, ten percent? No wonder we’re all freakin’ fat!Report

• Avatar Kazzy

From what I understand, one of the many little things that befuddles Europeans about America is why we keep calling cake “bread”. It ain’t just Subway… most American breads are heavy on sugar in a way that makes them taste totally different than their European counterparts.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon

I make stuff like Banana Bread at home, and that isn’t really bread, it’s just a loaf cake.

I’ve made sweet breads (think cinnamon raisin), and that is technically bread.

But bread that is not supposed to be sweet, or a cake, has no business having that much sugar in it.Report

• fillyjonk fillyjonk

My understanding was higher sugar (and salt) content in American bread was to make it more of a “keeping” loaf – in a country where most of us can’t get to an actual bakery every day like Europeans can.

Still, on the rare occasions I make bread I only put a tiny bit of sugar in (or honey, that will feed the yeast too). But I also have to freeze most of the loaf because in my humid climate a homemade loaf will mold in a couple days.Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling

Marie Antoinette would be so confused.Report

3. fillyjonk fillyjonk

What I want to know, do they consider tomatoes to be fruits or vegetables?Report

4. Avatar Michael Siegel

I think this is mainly about levying the tax.Report