Avatar: The Last Airbender (Recommended)

Jaybird

1. Avatar Kristin Devine

It’s awesome. One of the few shows that’s great for boys and great for girls and enjoyable for parents as well.

Agree 100% about the third season.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Kristin Devine

When we had the episode about the play, it was a nice moment to breathe.

Someone tweeted that the play in the show did a better job of telling the story than the movie, and I laughed.

Then I saw the first 10 minutes of the movie.

And I realized the tweeter wasn’t joking.Report

2. Avatar Oscar Gordon

I’m surprised you hadn’t seen it until now. I watched pirated copies back when it was first out, and I have really enjoyed watching it again with Bug.

It’s one of the few series that doesn’t insult the intelligence of the kids watching it (kinda like Robotech, back in the day).Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Oscar Gordon

It took me a little bit of time to get me on board. As such, I’m hoping that any other folks out there who had idly heard about it but never gotten around to watching it are pushed past the tipping point.

I was surprised by how high the quality was. I mean, I encounter tons of “this show is really good!” and I can’t make it past the first half of the second episode.

This one grabbed me and dragged me to the finish.

Thanks, Uncle Iroh.Report

3. Avatar Anne

I also am surprized you hadn’t seen it before. I cant count how many times we have watched it with the kids most recently last month (youngest is now 18) You should check out The Legend of Korra (actually just finished re-watching last night) Its the story of the next Avatar after Ang. I love it some think its not as great as Last Air Bender. I think its just as good maybe a slight step behind Last Air Bender. I think the world is diferent and different characters so people are responding to that not the actual quality of the show.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Anne

I watched the first episode of Korra and it stressed me out so much!

I’ll try to watch the second episode today. Maybe I’ll have a game at the same time to help.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Anne

Yeah Korra just doesn’t… jive… in the same way. It’s not bad by any means but it simply isn’t as good as Avatar. I can’t put my finger on why. Partially I don’t think the more advanced form of technology meshes at all well with bending or their spirituality. Also Korra seemed to make their spirit world very… small. And the older Korra characters just seem idiotic in ways that worked much better for the younger characters in Avatar.Report

4. Avatar PROFESSOR ESPERANTO

What is your take on Korra?Report

5. Avatar Fish

I watched it originally with the boys when it was on Nickelodeon, and I recently rewatched it because the kids were talking about it (they’re all writer/creative types and I had to keep shushing them because they wanted to talk about how great that dialogue was, how fantastic that scene was, how deep that character’s story arc was…SHUSH!).

Upon rewatching, I was surprised at how compact everything was–the Star Sword episode, for example. Sokka went from wanting a teacher to finding one to mastering swordsmanship to forging his own sword to holding his own against a Master in the span of a single episode–but it was all so well done that I didn’t really mind so much.

And that episode in particular demonstrated how much the characters cared for and looked out for each other. They recognized that, of all of them, Sokka really wasn’t getting anything out of their quest–Aang had found Water and Earth teachers; Katara had rediscovered the art of healing; Toph had pioneered metal bending–and they recognized that Sokka needed fulfillment, too.

I, too, would recommend this show to anyone–but after I finish my roast duck.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon in reply to Fish

It was all in one episode, but IIRC, the timeline in the show wasn’t that compressed. The whole episode spanned a couple weeks, I think.

OK, still pretty compressed, but Sokka fecking worked that whole time.Report