Ravi Zacharias: The Uncomplicated Facts

Steve Baughman

Steve Baughman

Steve Baughman is a lawyer and part-time student at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology in Berkeley. For extensive documentation of the assertions in this article see his Ravi Zacharias exposé Cover Up in the Kingdom: Phone Sex, Lies, and God’s Great Apologist, Ravi Zacharias, available at Amazon for download and physical delivery. Steve can be reached through his website www.RaviWatch.com.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon

The guy was still using a Blackberry in 2017?Report

2. Avatar LeeEsq

Ravi was an Indian?Report

3. Avatar Steve Baughman

Would anyone who knows BlackBerry be willing to answer a few questions I have about their security features? I am the author of this article. I would sure appreciate that. I am Steve@lawbw.comReport

4. Avatar Burt Likko

Seemingly rare is the nationally- or internationally-popular religious figure, who would be assessed by a non-adherent of that religion as all three of:

a) leading a personal life generally free of sexual and financial shenanigans;
    b) has not fabricated academic credentials in some fashion; and
    c) preaching behavior that is apparently well-rooted in the writings of their faith’s ancient holy texts.

Now, don’t misunderstand me. I volunteer rather than concede that there are quite a lot of clerics out there in the world who meet all three of these criteria at the same time. Maybe even the overwhelming number. But I notice that those people tend to focus on their local ministries rather than on pursuit of national or international fame. I also notice that they don’t tend to engage in a lot of apologia as a means of outreach to the non-faithful and perhaps attempts to convert them.

(Query if apologia to non-believers is actually effective at gaining conversions.)

Is this particular to Christianity, I wonder? We certainly see and hear more about Christian clerics doing questionable things than we do clerics of other faiths, but here in the USA, Christianity in its manifold flavors is very culturally dominant. Also, it seems to only be in the Anglosphere, and within that it’s mostly in the USA, that we encounter an abundance of clerics who feel the need to engage by way of apologia to do things like defend the literal truth of Genesis or otherwise engage in some sort of academic or logical confrontation with skeptics and doubters.

(Seriously, does this even work? Does it actually gain more than a token number of converts? My experience with arguments of this nature is that only those who are already firmly convinced they’re right even pay attention to this sort of thing, and hearing apologetic and counter-apologetic arguments almost always cements rather than softens the world view of the listener. It’s almost as if the apologist is simply throwing red meat out to the already-faithful in the hopes of inducing them to financially support their efforts to engage in unresolvable debates. Almost.)Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw in reply to Burt Likko

Christianity especially of the protestant evangelical variety is the only religion that seems to people who seek to be reknown beyond local ministries. The whole aspect of Christian apologetics is also rather odd to me. Jewish apologetics exist but in the context of preventing forced conversion or murder. The apologetics of the kind practiced by the deceased seem weird because they have already won.Report

5. Avatar Denise Janetos

You’re gonna feel so bad when he resurrects!Report

1. May 22, 2020

[…] I’m working up my own thoughts on this, but our friend Burt laid this out in the Commentareum so for emphasis reposting it […]Report