The Last Confession of Jane Roe

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonderandhome.com

1. Avatar Burt Likko

Still mulling over McCorvey’s confession but “[t]he most passionate of all our political debates” is surely not about abortion, but rather Antonin Scalia’s pronouncement about Chicago deep-dish pizza.Report

• Avatar Andrew Donaldson

I see what you did there. But I stand by my reporting on this issueReport

• Avatar greginak

Au contraire good sir. The most passionate debate is whether “Cincinnati chili” is an actual war crime against the concept of chili or merely an abomination. Because it is accepted by Good People that a giant mushy ball of dough with a gallon of tomato sauce is not pizza.Report

• Avatar Marchmaine

Well, if we’re going to destroy the comity of Ordinary Times over this… then there’s nothing left to do but categorically state that both Chicago Pizza and Cincinnati Chili are divine gifts. And only Frosted Flakes eating troglodytes can’t see that. So ask yourself one question: are you on the side of the Angels or sugar cereals? #throwdown.Report

• Avatar greginak

Sometimes the old, spaghetti covered, order needs to be burnt to the ground. I have it on good authority that good translations of the bible describe the angels eating chili, sans pasta of course, and with beans. #takethattexas.

Chicago pizza….pah….the first word is correct, the second ( insert derisive snort here)Report

• Avatar Murali

Sure, a giant mushy ball of dough with a gallon of sauce is not pizza, but the chicago deep dish is not a giant mushy ball of dough.Report

2. Avatar Philip H

I find it totally unsurprising that she was bought off – and that she viewed it as fulfilling her own agenda. I also find it extremely sad, both that she went down that road, and that the anti-abortion forces felt they had to buy her off to “win.”Report

3. Avatar Doctor Jay

I can’t decide if this, as well as her 1995 “coming out”, is a big deal, or nothing at all. I never heard about this story until now. Will this change people’s minds about this issue? I kinda think not.

Will this, perhaps, make people aware of how much moneyed interests are pulling strings? That would be nice, but again, probably not.

Feeling a bit pessimistic today, I guess.Report

• Avatar InMD

I was still in Catholic school when her 1995 announcement was made and I can say that at least there and at my parish it was treated as a pretty big deal.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

The most passionate of all our political debates is about to get a whole new, ugly chapter in it’s long history opened up.

I’m probably going to make some enemies here, but it has to be said.

That should be

its long history

5. Avatar Saul Degraw

I always knew she allegedly became anti-abortion later in life but it never influenced my own pro-choice views. It always struck me as a non-argument that the pro-life especially Christian Evangelical pro-life side loved but seemed largely irrelevant.Report

6. Avatar DensityDuck

Another one of those people whom history books will describe as “complicated”.Report