Sunday Morning! Tarkovsky’s “The Sacrifice” (1986)

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar InMD says:

Is there a service you’re streaming these on? The only Tarkovsky I’ve seen is Solaris, which I sort of stumbled into after coming across the meh remake with George Clooney.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to InMD says:

Yes! I’ve been sort of an evangelist for the Criterion Channel service since it launched a year ago, to the point I was thinking I might have to include a disclaimer that they’re not paying me! But they’ve added a collection of all seven of his features, an hour-long student film, and a documentary shot during The Sacrifice.

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to InMD says:

A lot of these movies are also on YouTube. I am a cheap SOB and have put off getting the Critereon channel. There is also Kanopy, which is usually available through a local library. Irritatingly giving our current issues, I hade let my library card lapse and so cannot access that one.

One thing I didn’t know until recently is that some of Tarkovskys works (definately Stalker) were writen by the Strugatski brothers, who wrote one of my favorite SF novels, The Ninth Circle of Paradise.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Aaron David says:

Yeah, I’m a big fan of Kanopy. I think they have a few of his movies. I’m cheap too, but it helps that I hated Netflix and got rid of that. It’s pretty much just the ten bucks or whatever Criterion takes out now and then I run down my Kanopy list.Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Rufus F. says:

Yeah, I hate Netflix and would dump it except for the wife. But, for short pieces and experimental stuff, I have been surprised by YouTube. A lot of that kind of work has found a home (either people evangelising through piracy or it has gone out of copywrite. Sometimes the creator or owner releases it)Report

• Avatar InMD in reply to Aaron David says:

Netflix gets weaker and weaker. The mainstream catalogue has been picked apart by others and it rarely has anything that ventures out of the ordinary. Just hit or miss original content and horror movies not even worthy of a syfy channel production.Report

• Avatar InMD in reply to Aaron David says:

Cool appreciate the recommendations from you both.Report