State of the Union: Pre-game, Live Thread, and Reax

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire and his writing website Yonderandhome.com

1. Avatar Jaybird

The big moment so far tonight, as far as I can tell from my particular bubble, is that Trump brought in Juan Guaido and called him the “legitimate President of Venezuela”.Report

2. Avatar George Turner

He awarded Rush Limbaugh the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and Melania walked right over and put it on him! Prior rumors were that they’d work on getting him the award over the coming months.

I haven’t watched the rest of it because I have an upset stomach.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

There’s a particular trick that Trump likes to use where he overstates good numbers and a certain segment of the media can be relied upon to “fact check” his numbers and explain that, no, instead of Trump’s statement that we haven’t had an unemployment rate this low since the 50’s, we had a lower rate in 1968 and we tied this rate in 1969. So we haven’t had an unemployment rate this low since the 60’s. The *LATE* 60’s, not the early 60’s.

And so the fact checkers, in pointing out Trump’s mistake/lie, remake Trump’s point for him.

Also, apparently, Rush Limbaugh got the Presidential Medal of Freedom? (Has he even been relevant since 2006 and announcing that he carries water for policies that he doesn’t agree with?)Report

4. Avatar InMD

I’m curious if there’s ever been another military family reunion during SOTU. Maybe I’ve just missed it but this is bizarre.Report

5. Avatar Saul Degraw

Rush Limbaugh has done nothing with his life but spread hate and bile.Report

• Avatar George Turner in reply to Saul Degraw

Rush Limbaugh has had the #1 program on US airwaves for one third of the entire existence of radio, which is simply astonishing. Not even Will Rogers could match that, and Will was unbelievably dominant.Report

• Avatar Pinky in reply to George Turner

I’ve never seen stats on this, but Limbaugh has got to be the most recorded person in history.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to George Turner

A pretty successful musician I know, in response to someone running down Brittany Spears, said every one of the people who gain attention in the public eye have supreme talent, even if it’s not a type of talent you appreciate. Rush was popular. Massively popular. Hell, even I used to listen to him (in an anthropological observation sense, but whatever). When I think back on the contours of conservatism in the US from the 80s to now, it’s easy, and perhaps (lazily) all too easy, to attribute conservatism’s cultural resurgence to the singular efforts of Rush Limbaugh. I mean, he was not only iconic but occupied a place of centrality in cultural thought rarely achieved by pop culture intellectuals/analysts.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

And Nancy Pelosi ripped it up at the end.

Tweets about the SOTU that I saw tonight were limited to three categories:

1. “I’m not watching the SOTU.”
    2. “I’m watching the SOTU and Trump is Evil!”
    3. “I’m watching the SOTU and Trump is Good!”

(Note: My experience should not be mistaken for the experience of everyone.)Report