Devin Nunes and the Very Delicate Feelings

Michael Siegel

Michael Siegel is an astronomer living in Pennsylvania. He is on Twitter, blogs at his own site, and has written a novel.

1. Avatar Saul Degraw

“But Nunes is a public figure, as you may have herd. So if he wants to milk this situation for a big judgement”

ISWYDT!!!Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling

I went and sued the maximum our insane laws allow
    Two news networks, seven farmers, and a cowReport

3. Avatar Mike Schilling

Nunes’ beef is that he can prove that the CNN story was inaccurate based on his travel records.

Or his dairy.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

And one serious point: venue shopping. Many (all?) of these lawsuits were filed in Virginia, specifically because it doesn’t have anti-SLAPP laws.Report

5. Avatar JoeSal

Latest story on CNN:

Herd it from a friend who…
    Herd it from a friend who….
    Herd it from another ewe been messin’ aroundReport

6. Avatar Philip H

On a serious note – Snowflake much Mr. Nunes?Report

7. Avatar Oscar Gordon

I just knew the puns would flow like the milk of heaven.Report

8. Avatar pillsy

Nunes has a long history of hoof in mouth disease.Report

9. Avatar PD Shaw

No doubt, I’m off on the wrong hoof with my personal ewes, but I think NY Times v. Sullivan is a case of baaaa facts making baaaa law, and should be hauled to the slaughterhouse for rendering.Report

• Avatar Michael Siegel

I disagree. With public figures, there is a critical interest in exposing corruption and malfeasance. Moreover, such figures have immense power at their disposal to kill stories they don’t like. It’s already bad enough with SLAAP lawsuits. I think requiring actual malice is a good balance to that.

To give a counter-example, I thought Sarah Palin was entirely justified in suing the NYT for claiming her “target map” led to the Giffords shooting. The information was known to be wrong, they responded with a half-assed correction and stood by it until someone pointed out that it was defamation. I think that meets a reckless disregard for the truth standard.Report

• Avatar PD Shaw

What the decision does is protect untrue statements in the public sphere. There is no public value in untrue statements; the argument is that the news media needs to be able to make mistakes in order to report the truth. Sometimes these mistakes are characterized as “innocent.” There is a lot of space between innocent and malicious, which is where most liability is triggered. There are different rules of law that could be used and the actual malice standard is particularly novel. The news media has become less reliable since 1964, and some part of that is that the news was relieved of previous obligations.Report

10. Avatar Charles Wagner

Will I be sued if I point out that Devin Nunes’s cow is as fictitious as most of what comes out of his mouth?Report

11. Avatar Daewin

The Land of Milk and Money. Or is it the Land of Milkin’ MoneyReport

12. Avatar nelson

I hope Devin Nunes kicks their no good butts.
    Too much bullshit from cnnReport

13. Avatar Katie

So his he in cahoots with Trump who is also the king of Lawsuits?Report