Thanksgiving Spin: Arlo Guthrie

Christopher Bradley

Christopher Bradley

Christopher is a lawyer from NEPA, aka, Pennsultucky, He is an avid baseball fan, audiophile, and dog owner. He spends the majority of his free time with his wife and daughters, reading, listening to music, watching baseball (except the Yankees) and writing. If you wish to send him a positive missive, any errata concerning albums, or requests regarding albums: saturdayspins32 at gmail dot com

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

2. Avatar North says:

Happy Thanksgiving!Report

3. Avatar Anne says:

Thank you for this. You have made my Thanksgiving. I lost my dad a few years ago but listening to Alice’s Restaurant one one of his traditions every Thanksgiving. Everyone would have to stop what they were doing and listen when it came on the radio. Of course he had a backup LP in case timing didn’t work out to hear it on the radio. I miss my dad but know he is watching me as I write this humming “you can get anything you want…”Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I hope everyone is able to spend a peaceful, joyful Thanksgiving with their families.

Or with people they actually like.Report

5. Avatar dragonfrog says:

I had no idea this was a common Thanksgiving tradition in the US. How fun! I sure prefer that to the month or more of omnipresent Christmas music (I’m a grinch at heart).

It’s a great song and a fun movie too.Report

6. Avatar greginak says:

Happy thanksgiving to one and all and to all a good…um…Thanksgiving.Report

7. Avatar Carl Schwent says:

“How many things in the world are 18 minutes and 20 seconds long?” Check out this follow-up, Alice’s Restaurant (The Massacree Revisted) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tMzSxvoeA for the postscript.Report

8. Great piece! I wrote about “City of New Orleans” a couple years back https://ordinary-times.com/2017/12/04/not-my-anthem/Report

1. November 26, 2020

[…] one for this year. Last year I was pressed for time, so I did a very rough spin post on an anti-war Thanksgiving classic. This year I thought I’d opt for a more neutral and celebratory spin. Who can resist great […]Report