Later, Kimmy Jo

Em Carpenter

Em was one of those argumentative children who was sarcastically encouraged to become a lawyer, so she did. She is a proud life-long West Virginian, and, paradoxically, a liberal. In addition to writing about society, politics and culture, she enjoys cooking, podcasts, reading, and pretending to be a runner. She will correct your grammar. You can find her on Twitter.

1. Avatar InMD

Sorry to hear about this.

I had a similar situation with a high school acquaintance. We weren’t close like it sounds like you were but ran in the same circles. It’s a pretty surreal feeling. Definitely a reminder of how fragile life is.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

It’s the ones where they’re too young, where it seems like it should have been avoidable, where it’s a complete surprise out of nowhere that hit us the hardest.

I’m sorry this happened to your friend. I’m sorry that this happened to you.Report

3. Avatar Michael Siegel

So sorry to hear about this, Em. I wish there was something I could say that would make the pain, anger and frustration go away, but I can’t think of it. It’s just too awful to wrap one’s head around.

My best friend from elementary school passed away a few years ago. I never found out what from but he was a lot like your Kimmy and I suspect an OD was the cause. Let a kid behind too. Just horrible.Report

4. fillyjonk fillyjonk

I’m so sorry. I haven’t lost anyone in that exact way, but I’ve lost people in recent years to things that probably should not have happened and it is just all rage and sadness. I’m sorry for your loss and there are just so many things that seem to have gone wrong for your friend….

2019 has sucked hard for so, so, so many people I know.Report

5. Avatar Aaron David

I am very sorry, Em. I, like many others in the comments here, have lost a few in this way. As it is sadly too common an occurrence.Report

6. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Sorry, Em.

BTW, what happens to the little boy? Is there responsible family to take him in, or is he destined for the foster system?Report

• Avatar Em Carpenter in reply to Oscar Gordon

I don’t know for sure but my guess is Kim’s mom will take him. It will be the second grandchild she’s raised- Kim has an older brother who was already an adult and in prison when she and I were kids. Her mom raised his little girl.Report

7. Avatar Fish

Very sorry for your loss, Em.Report

8. Avatar jason

So sorry. I’ve been fortunate to only lose people from cancer/old age. It’s hard enough even when it’s normal circle of life stuff. A guy I went to high school with, acquaintance–not a friend, recently died from liver failure caused by hard drinking. All this is such a waste.Report

9. Avatar North

So very sorry to hear it. I have no, thanks be to God(dess?) had any of my childhood circles of acquaintances, let alone friends, die. I can’t imagine how disconcerting and painful it is.Report

10. Avatar David Ryan

Em,

I guess you’re new here since I stopped posting, reading, commenting. I’m moved by your remembrance of your friend, and as a result I spent the day working on something that’s been banging around in my head for a few years.Report

11. Avatar Kristin Devine

I’m so sorry to read this, but it is a beautiful tribute. My condolences.Report

1. November 4, 2019