Star Wars: The Meh of Skywalker

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire.

1. Avatar Saul Degraw

I have seen the movies. I will see the new one when it comes out. But I still don’t get super franchising and the constant nostalgia machine for childhood culture. Previous generations were always nostalgic but the Boomers are not exactly revising Captain Kangaroo, Howdy Doo-dee, Gumby, or whatever else they had. Something about people born post 1965 (possibly more like somewhere in the 1970s) is an endless childhood nostalgia machine that I just don’t get.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Saul Degraw

I suspect, but don’t know (as I’m too young), that there was a quality element. The entertainment had to be at a certain level of quality before it could hitch on to the young brain and develop intense nostalgia/affection responses in adults.Report

• Avatar :LeeEsq in reply to Saul Degraw

It’s because the Baby Boomers generally discovered sex and pleasures of adulthood while a significant portion of Generation X seems to have not. 😉

More seriously, North probably has the right angle. A lot of childhood and teenage entertainment before Star Wars and other franchises sucked. The 1960s/70s/80s comics, Star Wars, and other aspects of Gen X nerd culture were high enough in quality to get people hooked. Superman and Batman are still going strong despite the fact that they existed since the Silent Generation. Its because they had the quality to continue. .Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon in reply to Saul Degraw

I don’t know, the boomers REALLY liked their Westerns…Report

2. Avatar Richard Hershberger

I was of the perfect age for the original trilogy. I watched the prequels in the theater out of generational affinity, but they pretty much burned me out on the idea of Stars Wars as “must see.” I have seen most but not all of the latest batch, but mostly because I take my daughter. I’ll see this one if she wants to go, or if it gets particularly good reviews.Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling

If you were a real fan, you’d be insisting these are the best and most important films ever made while explaining how the last five have sucked.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird

Sigh.

When I was a kid, the movies felt like nothing I had ever seen before. (In my defense: I was 5.)

One of the sci-fi giants at the time dismissed Star Wars by saying that it broke new ground by adding nostalgia to the mix. When I first read that quote (in my 20s), I was defensive and ticked off by it.

Now I see… yeah. And this is trying to make me feel nostalgia for nostalgia.

But they don’t make nostalgia like they used to.Report

5. Avatar Doctor Jay

My daughter is about 30 – too young to have seen the originals in the theater, though she insisted we go see the Special Edition releases in the theater. She has always been nuts about SW.

She, and I, think that there is a very, very good story at the core of the sequels, though in E7, that story has little to do with the nostalgia trappings. It’s very clear why fans hate E8, but I love it for most of the same reasons.

She loves to say “Star Wars fans hate Star Wars”, which makes me chuckle. I like the new trailer, I’m there for the film. I love the new characters so much.Report

6. Avatar Saul Degraw

@North,

Maybe production qualities but when people talk about a mind-twisty episode of G.I. Joe, I roll my eyes heavily. I’ve heard the push be “geek culture is for everyone” but I do not know if that is true. It is often not for me and seems to be about a strong push to have everything be at elementary school levels of squee forever.Report

7. Avatar Michael Siegel

I’ve had that attitude for a while. The prequels had flaws, but I enjoyed them. The sequels have fewer flaws but don’t seem to know where they’re going story-wise (the series is CLEARLY trending toward the idea of “gray Jedi” who can use the dark side as well as the light but I expect JJ to chicken out as he always does). My favorite of the new ones was Rogue One, which expanded the universe a bit. And while Solo was my least favorite, it was watchable and could even have been good with less prologue.

I’ll watch this. We’ll see how it do.Report

• Avatar Doctor Jay in reply to Michael Siegel

Whether JJ chickens out, or fails to deliver a satisfying answer to questions raised in previous installments is a very fair question given his history.

I’m placing my hopes on Kathleen Kennedy, who holds JJ’s reins, and kept the book that broke the three-film story locked in a safe in her office.

So if it follows the pattern he established in E7, it will look gorgeous, be larded up with lots of callbacks and silly references that don’t really make sense, but it will have a ripping good story and interesting and appealing characters at its core.Report