Light-Sabers Up! Episode IV: A New Hope

Eric Cunningham

Eric Cunningham is a lifelong resident of western North Carolina, and is pursuing a degree in journalism from Appalachian State; you can follow him on Twitter at @decunningham2.

1. Avatar Jaybird

One thing that I think is also notable is the tenor of all of the movies that were coming out around the same time.

Like, every single other movie was The Brave Little Toaster and Star Wars comes in and it has a happy ending. Sure, (spoiler) dies… but he becomes more powerful than we could possibly imagine. A breath of fresh air? It was like going out side for the first time since Kennedy died.Report

2. Avatar Doctor Jay

While it’s completely fair to give lots of credit to the editing, editing alone doesn’t make a movie great. The tone, and the visual imagery are all George. Darth Vader was probably the most iconic villain of the last 50 years, with the black armor and artificial breathing – “more man than machine”. And that’s George, and, I’m sure, his collaborators.

We note how easily and readily Lucas stepped aside for other directors and even writers, while maintaining his influence on story and visuals. That’s what he inhabits.

I saw this in the theaters when it came out. It’s hard to describe the impact it had – how different it was from everything else in the theaters.

For instance, A Bridge Too Far came out the same summer, and competed with SW. It is a great, great film. It is classic 70’s in the sense that there is plenty of heroism and sacrifice and nobility, but it ends with failure. I own it, I still watch it, but it didn’t capture people the way SW did.Report

• Avatar Eric Cunningham in reply to Doctor Jay

Oh I don’t mean to give all the credit to editing. The film is George’s dream and he’s responsible for the best parts of it (and participated in the editing process – he made the decision to fire the original editor of the “Lost Cut”). I just thought the editing in particular is one of the best things about the film – it actually won an Academy Award for Best Editing and it was well-deserved.Report

3. Avatar Adam Johns

{Ed Note: Hey man. Hope things get better for you soon and you get out of this funk. -Will}

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

How could there not be a single person working on a freaking science fiction movie who didn’t know that a parsec is a unit of distance?Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Mike Schilling

The original Star Wars was a mash-up of westerns, kung fu movie mysticism, and WWII aerial combat movie effects. Almost incidentally set in space. Why do you think there was anyone working on it who knew about parsecs and who was also in a position to tell Lucas that his dialog failed basic dimensional analysis?Report

• Avatar George Turner in reply to Mike Schilling

They fixed that in the Han Solo movie. Han Solo managed to make the Kessel run in less distance than anyone else by taking bold shortcuts through a very dangerous nebula.Report

• Avatar Eric Cunningham in reply to George Turner

FWIW it was also fixed in Legends in the same explanation. Although I like the newer canon version more because Han is actually lying about how many parsecs it was – it was actually over 12 parsecs (he justified saying 12 by saying it was 12 if you round down), then in A New Hope he said it was under 12, and he corrected Rey that it was under 12 in The Force Awakens. It’s a fun little gag in the films now, really.Report

5. Avatar gabriel conroy

I completely agree about the mistake of putting Jabba the Hut into the special edition. It was, as you say, redundant. It also was a spoiler of sorts, or at least it would have been a spoiler had it been in the original version. I remember before Jedi came out, one thing my 9-year old self wondered was, “what does Jabba look like? what kind of monster/gangster is he?” That uncertainty, in its own way, may Jedi more interesting than it might have been for me. Of course, I was 9 years old and wouldn’t have been uninterested in Jedi regardless, but the mystery of what new characters would show up helped feed my interest.Report

6. Avatar Ozzzy!

While I know “Mindless diversions” is a slightly tongue in cheek category tag, I’m pretty sure this doesn’t qualify.

Very much enjoying a little slice of your life and experiences.Report

7. Avatar DensityDuck

One of the other big “fan rework” ideas has been redoing the Vader / Obi-Wan fight to make it seem more flashy and spinny, more in line with the style established in the Prequels.