That’s Amore!

Olive

Olive

I'm an eater with a writing problem. I say I blog and write stories, but most of the time I'm thinking about what I'll have for lunch and supper or daydreaming about my current writing project. I like to discuss books, movies, music and sports. I'm passionate about my faith and my family, and believe that finding joy and gratitude in our everyday lives is as powerful as changing the world.

1. Avatar Jaybird

Great essay. I’m told that Pizza Hut pizza isn’t particularly good… but some of my happiest slices happened in those booths with the big red glasses and the pizza buffet and the salad bar. Not because the pizza is such high quality, but because the whole family was there.Report

• Olive Swan Olive Swan in reply to Jaybird

I like it, but it’s not my favorite. It’s more about the nostalgia than anything. It doesn’t feel the same to go there on my own now.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Olive Swan

Yeah. I now prefer the small batch artisanal wood-oven pizza place that has toppings like artichoke hearts available. (They have a sister restaurant that appeared on the Food Network!)

But pizza from the past tastes different from pizza today.Report

• Avatar George Turner in reply to Jaybird

But pizza from the past tastes different from pizza today.

This morning I too noticed that Saturday night’s pizza doesn’t taste quite the same anymore.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to George Turner

Every now and then someone releases a shocking report on how much stronger cannabis is than it used to be.

If you multiply enough of these together (study from the 70s about how much stronger today’s weed is than in the 60s, times one from the 80s about how much stronger weed is than in the 70s, etc) you find that today’s weed is about 12,000x stronger than it was in the 60s, when apparently you had to smoke a joint the size of your head to get a buzz.

Turns out the typical method for these studies is to go to the evidence room and take some old weed that’s been stored for a decade or two without any kind of temperature or humidity controls, and also some weed that was seized last week, and discover what you observe – that today’s pizza is much fresher than Saturday’s.Report

• fillyjonk fillyjonk in reply to Jaybird

“Ou sont les pizzas d’Antan?”

I recently had an experience (hopefully to be in an upcoming installment of this series) where I tried Chef Boyardee, the pizza of my childhood again, and was disappointed that it was not how I remembered it.

Either I changed, or it did.

You can’t go home again. As much as I sometimes wish I couldReport

2. Avatar Murali

Condolences about your father.

Regarding pizzas, my favourite style of pizza is the deep dish style. Unfortunately, these are not really available in Singapore. When I go to PA next year, I’ll have to have some.Report

3. Avatar Slade the Leveller

A fine example of why I come to OT. I’ll disagree on the secret, though. It’s really fennel.

My dad was just 68 when he died, and our tie was golf. That was 15 years ago, and I think of him every time I tee off.Report

• Olive Swan Olive Swan in reply to Slade the Leveller

I’ve started adding a lot more spices to my pizza, and it really does help. Dad wasn’t really a spices kind of guy. I’ll have to try fennel.

Sorry to hear about your dad too. It’s tough to do those things you loved to do together when they’re not there with you.Report

4. fillyjonk fillyjonk

My condolences.

Wow, a lot of us have lost our dads fairly recently.Report

5. Avatar Fish

Excellent essay.Report

6. Avatar Will Sahli

Great essay, Olive. Knowing you and your family’s pizza history and having shared more than a few pizzas with you, I was laughing and and wiping away tears, not all of which were from laughter. Really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for making my day better.Report

7. Avatar Fred High

very nice article about things we love Olive!Report

8. Avatar atomickristin

What a wonderful piece! Thanks so much for sharing it.Report