Songs!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Aaron David

Morphine – The Saddest Song

2. Avatar Chris

Obviously, anything by Elliott Smith, who would have turned 50 the other day. I’ll go with this one for now:

3. Avatar Andrew Donaldson

I mean, all due respect to everyone’s opinions but this isn’t even a conversation: A coked-up David Ruffin emoting all over the mic while singing a song so gut-wrench Motown staff songwriter Roger Penzabene allegedly wrote it about his own wife cheating on him, committed suicide a week after it’s release.

4. Avatar Michael Cain

California Dreamin’ has made me sad since the first time I heard The Mamas and The Papas performing it. Today I’ll go with the Beach Boys’ cover.

Note to Mr. Shilling: You can add to your list of warnings that the embedded player doesn’t survive when the post is edited.

5. Avatar George Turner

• Avatar George Turner in reply to George Turner

I should note that one of my biggest epiphanies of the past year was listening to that mash up and realizing that the killer on the road whose brain was squirmin’ like a toad was the man from Mars who was eatin’ cars. They had both witnessed the same events.Report

6. Avatar George Turner

Hard to go wrong with the ukelele orchestra.Report

7. Avatar atomickristin

it’s a little cliche but

8. Avatar Brandon Berg

I’d like to share Miyuki Nakajima’s “HALF,” a story of lovers who missed their chance to be together and swore to meet again in the next life, only to miss their chance again. Unfortunately, her label has her music locked down hard, and other than a few of her recent songs, none of it’s available on YouTube. My next choice is a song Nakajima wrote for Shizuka Kudoh in 1998. Honestly, Kudoh’s kind of a weak singer, but she had brilliant songwriters backing her, first Tsugutoshi Gotoh and later Nakajima.

The title, “Setsu-getsu-ka,” literally means “snow, moon, and flowers.” It comes from a phrase in a poem from the classical Chinese poet Bai Juyi (“When I gaze upon the snow, moon, and flowers, that is when I miss you the most.”), and refers to sublime natural beauty. Anyway, this isn’t a sad song, but for some reason it makes me feel sad. The lyric’s superficial silliness serves to deepen its portrayal of the intensity of young love. I’m not really doing Nakajima justice, but here’s rough translation:

Between the waves of the sheets,
    I searched for you, hoping I might find you.
    I want to be with you, and though I hold you tightly,
    I want only to be with you more.

No matter where you go, I can find you.
    When I ask you, you don’t understand.
    Here I am, you laugh; I want to be with you more, I insist.
    You, who know nothing!

Chorus:
    Snow, moon, and flowers
    It is a loving heart which never yields.
    Snow, moon, and flowers.
    But only grows ever stronger

If you would grant me a wish,
    I want only one thing:
    Grant me freedom.
    Grant me the freedom to love you.

Quickly, set me free!
    Quickly, do not tie me down!
    Set me free from a future without you,
    And set me free from loneliness.
    You, who know nothing!

9. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Johnny Cash and a song whose title suggests it should be happy, but the lyrics tell another story. Bug won’t ever let us sing more than the chorus.

10. Avatar wvesquiress

This song makes me really sad. I can pinpoint a very specific time in my childhood, right on the cusp of adolescence when my very best friend moved away, kind of the end of childhood as I knew it. Everything got hard after that.

11. Avatar jason

My wife’s favorite George Strait song is a sad one:

12. Avatar jason

Or if you prefer your sad songs be metal

13. Avatar Brandon Isleib

Porcupine Tree – Heartattack in a Layby. The protagonist just pulls off the road and dies…

14. Avatar Slade the Leveller

Can’t believe this hasn’t been posted. (Sorry, feeling extraordinarily juvenile today for some reason.)Report

15. Avatar Slade the Leveller

Beneath the sprightly melody lies a dark tale. Posted in response to a tweet referencing a piece published elsewhere by own Andrew D. Everyone’s been there, and it never stops sucking.

16. Avatar DW Dalrymple

Saddest song I ever heard? “Long Black Veil” by The Band; off of 68’s classic Music from the Big Pink…