When The Landscaping Crew Stages a Walkout

Oscar Gordon

A Navy Turbine Tech who learned to spin wrenches on old cars, Oscar has since been trained as an Engineer & Software Developer & now writes tools for other engineers. When not in his shop or at work, he can be found spending time with his family, gardening, hiking, kayaking, gaming, or whatever strikes his fancy & fits in the budget.

1. Avatar Doctor Jay says:

Your link is to a very cool video about how Disney’s Tower of Terror works. Which is awesome, but probably not what you wanted. Unless there’s some sly joke I’m not picking up on.Report

2. Avatar J_A says:

…so being the good, liberal elites that we are, we hire the cheapest labor possible.

There’s a big bait and switch there, Oscar. As a good liberal elite, I want my city to contract for services at the lowest price that is consistent with fulfilling the scope, and doing the work safely and in time. As a utilities’ executive, I apply the same criteria when hiring contractors.

As a good liberal elite, I want the government to establish adequate minimum salary and benefits across the board. I vote regularly, and only for candidates whose plank is to protect, and improve, the labor conditions. And to the extent that means I’ll pay higher taxes, or that eating at a restaurant will be more expensive, I’m game for it.

Individual city contracts are not the place where change in labor conditions needs to happen. The contracting process must be standard, predictable, and auditable. The federal Government, the city government, or the government of those geographically arbitrary entities called states are the ones that need to get on board. And they have my vote to do so

Signed, good liberal elite J_AReport

• Avatar George Turner says:

And that’s why you have so many homeless people who don’t have any blackberries to eat in the summer.

You have to think of the bigger picture.Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

Clicking the (correct) link matters…Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

All depends on which liberal elites you talk to. I know plenty who think we should be hiring Union workers to do that kind of work.Report

• Avatar pillsy says:

A boss is a boss.

This is why I generally support public employee unions even though, say, FDR opposed them.Report

• Avatar Philip H says:

I’d agree. You should be hiring unionized labor. Or at the very least labor that’s well compensated.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

Well, a herd is a kind of a Union, right? And they are well compensated, they get to eat all the blackberries they can find on the job site.

Plus we do pay the goat herder quite well for his time and effort.Report

3. Avatar dragonfrog says:

A park near me uses a landscaping crew from the same labour pool. I have not yet managed to get out there during their workday though.Report

4. Avatar Aaron David says:

Ha!

The other day I was looking out my back window and noticed a whole flock of wild turkeys hanging out in my back yard. Like 20-25 of them. I went running after them to video this, but the sunlight made it pretty much unviewable.Report

5. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Speaking of antifa, when did Quilette go full Trumpist? They seem to have jumped shark from “we are liberal but anti-SJW” to writing loving pieces of Boris Johnson, calling him an ubermensch, and also basically being TrumpistReport

6. Avatar harry says:

it is a naturally occurring, yellowish-black liquid found inside the earth surface. And it can be refined as a fuel. The consumption of petrol and diesel is increasing day-by-day as the world is developing. The rapid increase in demand of petrol and diesel leads to increase in the price of the petrol and diesel product. It is one of the most important source for economic development of the country.Report

7. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

The neighborhood post, with more videos.Report

8. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

As riots go, this one is the GOAT.Report

9. Avatar Kolohe says:

Even the capitalist running dog joined the revolution, once it got to a critical mass.Report

10. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

As noted in the neighborhood post, the first person to notice the escape asked who to call, and so many people replied, “Goatbusters!”.

I figured after that, the puns would just keep rolling in…Report

• Avatar George Turner says:

I’m pretty sure that most seminaries and Bible colleges still teach good shepherding, so the best bet was to grab someone from the clergy.Report