Saturday Morning Gaming: The Steam Summer Sale

Jaybird

1. Avatar Fish

I picked up The Handsome Collection a couple of weeks ago. That price was just too good to walk away from. Yesterday I snagged Slay the Spire and Overload. Haven’t played any of them yet, but I’m hoping to spin up Spire today.

If you ever get around to playing Everspace, I’d appreciate hearing what you think of it. I hovered over it for a bit before ultimately deciding to pass.Report

2. Avatar Doctor Jay

I’ve played Surviving Mars a fair bit. It’s pretty cool. It’s sort of Dwarf Fortress goes to Mars.Report

3. Avatar Fish

Update: Slay the Spire is AMAZING and if you don’t have it, take advantage of the sale and go get it. You won’t be disappointed. Seriously, knowing what I know now, I would have paid full price for this game.Report

4. Avatar Pinky

I don’t need 10 year old games for $2. But I’m not sure I want them either.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Pinky

You know, I play the new-fangled games and I can’t help but think about this side-by-side comparison again:

• Avatar Pinky in reply to Jaybird

Oh, it’s not that old games are bad. It’s just that there are a bunch of titles that I’ve never played and I don’t think my life has been impaired by it. I was looking over the franchises on sale: Max Payne, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, et cetera. I’ve never played any game in the series. I could pick up the earliest in the series for a couple of bucks, but the graphics might be glitchy, and I don’t know what the breakthrough game is in a particular franchise, the one they got right.

Then you’ve got some franchises I’ve played before. I sort of completed the first Baldur’s Gate, but I found it disappointing. Should I bother getting the second one? And do I really need to relearn my Mortal Kombat chops? I bought Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam a while back, and it didn’t have the old magic.

I saw Europa Universalis was on sale. But I’ve spent most of my adult life building up forces and annexing neighboring tiles in one way or another. I guess when I complain about old games, I really mean old ideas. If I want to play something that’s completely novel to me, maybe there’s a game out there that simulates being a goat.Report

5. Avatar DavidTC

I just got the Borderlands Handsome Collection too, and I already had one of them so it was like $3.75.

I’ve still never played any of them, though. But I will someday.

I wanted to get the newest Life is Strange, but it’s barely on sale.

And right now I’m browsing Adventure and getting increasingly annoyed at game developers that don’t know what ‘adventure games’ are.

Edit: It’s official. Of the 15 games in the top browsing area of Adventure, literally one of them, ‘A Plague Tale’, appears to be an adventure game.Report