Thursday Throughput for June 20, 2019

Michael Siegel

Michael Siegel is an astronomer living in Pennsylvania. He is on Twitter, blogs at his own site, and has written a novel.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

ThTh3: Did they film it at some very high rate and digitally adjust the framerate on the fly to see the standing waves?Report

2. Avatar Michael Cain says:

ThTh2 (last link): There’s always the political problem of who gets to operate the giga/tera-watt lasers pointed at Earth :^) More seriously, since I’m feeling depressed about it this morning, it appears to me that the clean energy problem has to be solved in a time frame that doesn’t allow waiting for lunar (or other orbital) power sources. Increasingly I put fusion into the same category. The latest ITER/DEMO schedules call for learning enough to build a practical commercial fusion generating station around 2050.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird says:

“It’s rare and we’re it” is an unsatisfying answer for the whole intelligent life thing.

It seems likely that some other planet out there somewhere would win the lottery and also be juuuust far enough from the sun to have an ice/water cycle and a magnetic field.

And if you’ve got that, well, you’ve got everything.Report

• I like how Katie Mack says it: there is almost certainly other intelligent life in the universe and it’s unlikely we will ever met them. Both of those are because space is so vast.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Our definitions of “intelligence” don’t strike me as being up to snuff. I can easily imagine us missing communications from other intelligences just because we don’t recognize them as communications.Report

• Avatar CJColucci says:

I’m not sure what’s more depressing, being alone in the universe or not being alone but being forever out of reach.Report

• Avatar Dan Miller says:

I agree with that statement, but I don’t like it! It seems crashingly depressing.Report