Songs!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

• Avatar PD Shaw in reply to PD Shaw says:

Unrelated to my choice, but its pretty incredible that I can check my phone and see that my eldest kid is currently hiking somewhere on Iveragh Peninsula in Southwest Ireland.Report

1. Avatar Aaron David says:

Brother, my cup is empty…

2. Although this tends to be a genre I avoid, there’s no denying Uncle Tupelo’s “I Got Drunk”

3. Avatar atomickristin says:

a fun one

4. Avatar atomickristin says:

and a sad one

5. Avatar Jaybird says:

When I was a kid, Red Red Wine was used as an example of a song glorifying self-harm. It wasn’t good that kids were listening to it.

Now that I am old, it is a song for paper towel commercials.

6. Avatar Anne says:

Always a classic

[Mike: Ten points from Gryffindor for not following directions]

7. Avatar Jaybird says:

The same week I bought this album, my boss and I were driving around and I said “Listen to this song!” and we listened and liked the song and he said “what’s the song about?” and we theorized… is it about a girlfriend who broke up? A girlfriend who is together but distant? A girl that he wishes were his girlfriend but isn’t? Maybe will never, ever be?

We looked it up when we got back to the office.

It’s about drugs.Report

8. Avatar Em Carpenter says:

Lord, I can smell the cigarette smoke in the rural dive bar my parents used to drag me to with them when I hear this song…

9. Not, Lennon insisted, a drug song.

10. Avatar Jaybird says:

I’ve got a rough draft of an essay talking about the allure of self-destruction via drink or drugs and talking about songs that glorify such things because of the “authenticity” of destroying oneself compared to the Babbitry of showing up to a job week-in-week-out.

But I couldn’t figure out a way to write it ethically.

Anyway, here’s the song that I would have linked to at the top of the essay:

11. Bunch of drug songs in this. I’ll pick one.

12. Avatar PD Shaw says:

Seems like the morning crowd was about drinking, but by afternoon, the OT crowd turned more to harder stuff. For drugs . . .

13. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

The best purveyor of country music today.Report

14. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

The UB40 version of “Red, Red Wine” was, for some reason, popular among my classmates in elementary school, although it had already been out for some years at that point. I never cared much for it. It wasn’t until five or so years ago that I first heard the Neil Diamond original and realized that it was actually a pretty good song.Report

15. Avatar TroubleWithDrinking says:

Easy.Report

16. Avatar Kolohe says:

It’s not really ‘about’ drugs and alcohol as much as it is a snide remark on lumpenprole drinking culture, but this was the anthem of an age

17. Avatar Rufus F. says:

A little crude, but I love the riff:

18. I’d forgotten to post They Might Be Giants’ “Drink!”