Songs!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

• Avatar PD Shaw in reply to Michael Cain

The Doors might be my overall choice, but I think I prefer this one for being less L.A. specific:

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to PD Shaw

L.A. Woman is the only one that makes me want to get in a car and go fast Preferably a convertible with the top down. No destination necessary, just go.

This one is only a driving song because of the impression it made on me. I saw the episode the first time it aired, while I was pacing back and forth with a fevered nine-month-old tucked in against my neck, trying to get him to sleep.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Radar Love

• Avatar rexknobus in reply to Oscar Gordon

You beat me here with this one. Extended trip Out West; VW Beetle; red bandana; nasty cowboy encounters; “Radar Love” makin’ it all worthwhile. Put the pedal to the metal and get all the way up to about 70 mph (told you: VW Beetle!). “My hands wet on the wheel…”Report

2. Avatar Slade the Leveller

This tune reminds me of my favorite moment on the road, ever. I was driving on US 14 through South Dakota on my way to my home in Chamberlain. The countryside in that state east of the Black Hills is rolling prairie, and it’s really pretty in a kind of dry, austere way. The sun was setting, and I was the only one on the road.

I don’t know what it’s like now, but in 1989, FM radio wasn’t really a thing in SD, so my choices were limited to top 40, country, and classical. Not being a fan of boy bands, or the country of the time, classical it was. This tune came over the airwaves, and it really moved me for some reason, so I pulled over, cranked up the radio, and watched the sun sink below the horizon.

This happened 30 years ago and it’s as vivid as if it happened yesterday.

3. Avatar Aaron David

Because I lived in Sacramento for a long time, and would occasionally run into and hang out with these guys:

4. Avatar Aaron David

And now for something completely different

5. Avatar George Turner

The other day I ran across Pink’s 2010 Grammy performance. Oprah was so impressed she had to interview her about it, asking what was running through her head moment by moment.

6. Avatar Kristin Devine

A bit obvious, perhaps, but still…

7. Avatar Fish

Almost certain to make you speed:

8. Avatar Fish

And another:

9. Avatar Michael Cain

When our kids were of a certain age, and we were on long trips, this was the most frequent request.

10. Avatar Michael Cain

Completely off topic, but I just noticed that my ad-blocker keeps 142 items from loading on this page. That’s 142 from a total of 470 — no wonder these pages load so slowly after the first few songs are linked.Report

11. Avatar Kolohe

I’ve always been partial to this one

This one is made for convertible driving

This one was a good one for starting right when the street becomes a limited access highway.