Songs!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

Obviously, it’s in the title.

2. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

My other favorite.

Also, my top 3 by Sweet (Ballroom Blitz, Little Willie, Fox on the Run)Report

3. Avatar Reformed Republican says:

I have already used Swans, so I will not not go with them again. A lot of the music I listen to should be played loud.

(But if I was going to use Swans again)

4. Avatar PD Shaw says:

Song that doesn’t make sense not-loud.

5. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

This one is easy:

6. Avatar Marchmaine says:

More than any other song this one makes me stop and turn up the dial… to 12 if I could.

7. Avatar Jaybird says:

Sometimes, when I get back in the car, the radio is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too loud and I fumble to turn it down quickly and I think “why was I listening to the radio that loudly?!?” and then I remember that this was playing:

• That title is awfully familiar.

The White Stripes announced the completion of Icky Thump on February 28, 2007. The title is derived from “ecky thump”, a Lancashire colloquial response of surprise, popularized by an episode of the 1970s UK comedy series The Goodies.

The Goodies were a Pythonish comedy trio. Their “ecky thump” was a Lancastrian martial art in which you hit your opponent over the head with a blood sausage.Report

8. Avatar Maribou says:

I take one, one, one cause you left me…
    (the song has plenty of dynamic range. but the loud parts must be ALL THE LOUD.)

9. Avatar Fish says:

Must be played at a volume which allows everyone living in your dorm to listen along with you:

10. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

A moldy oldie that screams for 11.

11. Avatar Jaybird says:

An AC/DC song played on the radio while driving for lunch. It doesn’t matter which one. They’re all the same song. (Though if I had to pick one to turn up loudest, it’d be “Whole Lotta Rosie”.)

This song also played on the way there. It needed to be turned up too:

12. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

I am loving this, my playlist for the drive next weekend is getting some new additions.Report

13. Avatar jason says:

It’s a cover, but I think I like it better than the original.

14. Avatar jason says:

And I’ve seen Metallica twice, but they haven’t played this song. The first time I saw them, they opened with “Battery,” “Master of Puppets,” and “Breadfan,” which was the best opening of any concert I’ve been to.