Songs!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon

This is the classic summer song.

Also, epic Lamb Chops.

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Oscar Gordon

Also the classic one-hit wonder (in the US; they’ve had more hits in the UK and other countries.)Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Oscar Gordon

Periodically, fights break out on the youtubes over this particular couplet:

If her daddy’s rich take her out for a meal
      If her daddy’s poor just do what you feel

The argument is over whether this sexist sentiment paints the rich girl in a worse light than the poor girl, or the poor girl in a worse light than the rich girl.

“What, so you’re saying the rich girl is a hooker paid with food?”
      “What, so you’re saying the poor girl doesn’t deserve to be courted?”
      “There is an authenticity in being allowed to just do what one feels that is not being extended to the rich girl!”
      “Authenticity, smauthenticity! If you’d be willing to spend a little money on a girl from this side of the tracks, you should be willing to spend a little money on a girl from that side of them!”

I suppose that this is why you should never read youtube comments…Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

The “Song of the Summer” phenomenon where there is one song that just chases everyone around from a particular year’s Memorial Day to that same year’s Labor Day and then it disappears.

3. Avatar Reformed Republican

This song makes me think of the beach, so I would consider it my summertime song.

This would be my second choice, for essentially the same reason.

4. Avatar PD Shaw

For every day I’m workin on the Illinois River
    Get a half a day off with pay
    Oh tow boat pickin up barges
    On a long hot summer day.

5. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I will submit that no genre does summertime better than bro country. I’m not even a summer kind of guy, but time of year I find myself wanting to roll down the windows, blast certain songs and head for water.

6. Avatar Andrew Donaldson

I’m going old school and new scho-well, whatever the 90’s are considered these days:
    Eddie Cochran – Summertime Blues

Sublime, with their riff off the Summertime standard you mention:

7. Avatar Michael Cain

I got nothin’ — probably because the local weather forecast is for 1-4 inches of snow overnight. Perhaps as much as 8 inches if the European computer model is right…Report

8. Avatar Aaron David

Turn it up

9. Avatar Doctor Jay

The cue is “something that reminds you of summer” and this song does that. It came out in 1973. It was the summer before my senior year in high school. I just had my first car. It was a 1964 Chevy Nova of nondescript color which prompted the remark “It’s so clean” from everyone who ever looked at it. I had two part time jobs working at Birch Bay (go ahead and google it, there’s only one) in the summer resort industry. Most summer days Birch Bay Drive would be full of people in swimsuits or shorts carrying towels or buckets and shovels (for clam digging). And I’d cruise down it going to work, or going to visit a friend at 10 mph which was the speed limit. And this song would be on the radio, because it was ubiquitous. Yes, I was sixteen that summer:

10. Avatar bookdragon

11. Avatar Maribou

Only this cover has this power over me, but it reminds me not only of summer, but of one summer in particular…Report

12. Avatar Jaybird

This is one that is more about “weather” than “season” but it fits. I can’t believe it’s 1989. It feels like it should be older.

13. Avatar Mike Schilling

Another classic complete with muttonchops.

14. Avatar Slade the Leveller

Because who doesn’t go punting down the Cam with his boombox? From the late, lamented Style Council.

15. Avatar Slade the Leveller

Summer of ’84 for me.

16. Avatar Jaybird

This isn’t intended to be in the same vein as mmmmbop, but we don’t live in a deontological society do we?