Songs!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

This is the classic summer song.

Also, epic Lamb Chops.

• Also the classic one-hit wonder (in the US; they’ve had more hits in the UK and other countries.)Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Periodically, fights break out on the youtubes over this particular couplet:

If her daddy’s rich take her out for a meal
      If her daddy’s poor just do what you feel

The argument is over whether this sexist sentiment paints the rich girl in a worse light than the poor girl, or the poor girl in a worse light than the rich girl.

“What, so you’re saying the rich girl is a hooker paid with food?”
      “What, so you’re saying the poor girl doesn’t deserve to be courted?”
      “There is an authenticity in being allowed to just do what one feels that is not being extended to the rich girl!”
      “Authenticity, smauthenticity! If you’d be willing to spend a little money on a girl from this side of the tracks, you should be willing to spend a little money on a girl from that side of them!”

I suppose that this is why you should never read youtube comments…Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

The “Song of the Summer” phenomenon where there is one song that just chases everyone around from a particular year’s Memorial Day to that same year’s Labor Day and then it disappears.

• Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

Really? MMMBop? Why don’t you just drop in The Macarena?Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

I will admit to liking MMMBop. It’s catchy. It’s fun. Good choice.Report

• Avatar Brandon Berg says:

I’m a bit puzzled as to how a 50s pastiche hit #1 on the Billboard chart after two months of Puff Daddy and Notorious B.I.G., and followed by another two months of Puff Daddy and Notorious B.I.G., but it was nice to get out of that cesspit for a couple of weeks.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain says:

One hit wonder from the summer of 1985. Plus “sunshine” in the title. Turns out that the band kept the royalty rights and has pulled in something like a million dollars per year from commercials and such ever since.

• Avatar Jaybird says:

The radio plays an ad for paper towels with the song “Red, Red Wine”.

There was a commercial a few years back for PMS/PMDD relief products that uses “We’re Not Gonna Take It”.

A cruise ship company used Iggy Pop’s “Lust for Life” in a commercial in the 90’s. “THAT’S ABOUT HEROIN!”, I remember us joking.

Someday, “Reign In Blood” will be used in a commercial. For detergent, probably. “This can handle grass stains, food stains, even…” and then the song will play.Report

3. Avatar Reformed Republican says:

This song makes me think of the beach, so I would consider it my summertime song.

This would be my second choice, for essentially the same reason.

4. Avatar PD Shaw says:

For every day I’m workin on the Illinois River
    Get a half a day off with pay
    Oh tow boat pickin up barges
    On a long hot summer day.

• Avatar PD Shaw says:

A different cover version by Sara Watkins, backed by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings:

• Avatar Doctor Jay says:

Logically, I knew this couldn’t be true, but until now I was under the impression that I was the only person who listened to Sara Watkin’s solo work.Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

I’m not a huge fan of Watkin’s solo work, but I am a huge fan of her as a musician. She is a world-class fiddle player and amazing vocalist.Report

5. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

I will submit that no genre does summertime better than bro country. I’m not even a summer kind of guy, but time of year I find myself wanting to roll down the windows, blast certain songs and head for water.

6. I’m going old school and new scho-well, whatever the 90’s are considered these days:
    Eddie Cochran – Summertime Blues

Sublime, with their riff off the Summertime standard you mention:

7. Avatar Michael Cain says:

I got nothin’ — probably because the local weather forecast is for 1-4 inches of snow overnight. Perhaps as much as 8 inches if the European computer model is right…Report

8. Avatar Aaron David says:

Turn it up

9. Avatar Doctor Jay says:

The cue is “something that reminds you of summer” and this song does that. It came out in 1973. It was the summer before my senior year in high school. I just had my first car. It was a 1964 Chevy Nova of nondescript color which prompted the remark “It’s so clean” from everyone who ever looked at it. I had two part time jobs working at Birch Bay (go ahead and google it, there’s only one) in the summer resort industry. Most summer days Birch Bay Drive would be full of people in swimsuits or shorts carrying towels or buckets and shovels (for clam digging). And I’d cruise down it going to work, or going to visit a friend at 10 mph which was the speed limit. And this song would be on the radio, because it was ubiquitous. Yes, I was sixteen that summer:

10. Avatar Maribou says:

• Avatar Maribou says:

Only this cover has this power over me, but it reminds me not only of summer, but of one summer in particular… (experimenting for the power of embed)

11. Avatar Jaybird says:

This is one that is more about “weather” than “season” but it fits. I can’t believe it’s 1989. It feels like it should be older.

12. Another classic complete with muttonchops.

13. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

Because who doesn’t go punting down the Cam with his boombox? From the late, lamented Style Council.

14. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

Summer of ’84 for me.

15. Avatar Jaybird says:

This isn’t intended to be in the same vein as mmmmbop, but we don’t live in a deontological society do we?