Songs! 30 challenges, 30 weeks, 30 songs.

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Maribou

This is such a fun series….. eeeeeeee.

Good song, too.

This is the first one that sprang to mind for me:

2. Avatar Oscar Gordon

The second AC/DC song I ever listened to, and what really hooked me as a fan (The first was Shook Me All Night Long).

3. Avatar Doctor Jay

One of my favorites: Donald Fagin of Steely Dan:

4. Avatar Reformed Republican

Seems like an obvious choice:

5. Avatar Anne

Thanks Mike I started following your post on twitter and then lost the thread. I look forward to seeing all the posts.Report

6. Avatar veronica d

I’m not sure if this is my favorite song-with-a-color-in-the-title — as my brain is very bad at that sort of information recall. In any case, I like it, and it’s the first such song I could think of.

7. Avatar Kristin Devine

One of the ideas I’ve kicked around is a thread that explores why all songs with the word blue in the title are so good. There are so many good blue songs it’s ridiculous, including the one you chose, “Tangled Up In Blue”. Has one of my fave lines of any song “I felt a little uneasy when she bent down and tied the laces of my shoe”. Love it.

But all that having been said, blue songs, while great, are not my favorite color mentioned in song. That honor goes to Kermit the Frog singing “It’s Not Easy Being Green”.

8. Avatar bookdragon

A favorite

which I can’t seem to get to embed right, so I’ll just leave the linkReport

9. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Wait, does Rainbow Connection count as a color song?Report

10. Avatar Kristin Devine

This is another very colorful one Report

11. Avatar bookdragon

Of course for real classics there’s always “We All Live in a yellow Submarine”Report

• Avatar PD Shaw in reply to PD Shaw

Mainly picked this version for the quality of visuals, but there are two bonuses: (1) Hendrix sings “scuse me while I kiss this guy,” gesturing at Noel Redding (0:54), and (2) the audience appears to be the Young Republicans for Nixon (3:03)Report

12. Avatar Slade the Leveller

A beautiful song, both lyrically and musically, in 3/4 time, done by my favorite group.

13. Avatar Fish

“Black” by Pearl Jam. The song that convinced me that maybe–just maybe–this grunge stuff wasn’t so bad after all:

14. Avatar Michael Cain

Had to choose between Linda or Billie Holiday. Went with Linda because that’s the one I remember from when my wife and I were taking ballroom lessons.

15. Avatar Em Carpenter

Sorry. Can’t figure out how to find the right link.

Pearl Jam, Yellow Ledbetter Report

16. Avatar Brandon Berg

Another Japanese one because it’s my comparative advantage: Eris in Blue Eyes, by Anzen Chitai (Safe Zone), a band that had a string of hits in the 80s and a lead singer (Tamaki Kouji) who has a voice that manages to sound simultaneously strained and smooth as silk.

17. Avatar Brandon Berg

Screwed up the link again, with the wrong video, and I can’t edit because it’s in moderation or something: