Days of Real Sport: The Hard Hit

Clare Briggs

Clare Briggs

Clare Briggs is a famous cartoonist who lived from 1875 to 1930.

1. Avatar Gabriel Conroy

I’m not sure I get it. Does somebody have any thoughts?Report

• Avatar North in reply to Gabriel Conroy

That little lad is hard struck by a crush. The gal is on his mind and he’s probably responsible for that sentimental tree graffiti you see carved on the innocent deciduous he’s leaning against.Report

• Avatar Gabriel Conroy in reply to North

Thanks (I’m not sure I noticed the tree graffiti), but I guess I just don’t get the joke. However, maybe there doesn’t always have to be a joke, but most of these Clare Briggs things seem to have some sort of, if not punchline, then a message or a “thesis.” Not that there needs to be a message or thesis.Report

• Avatar Marchmaine in reply to Gabriel Conroy

Seems a pretty clear inclination that the fellow is rather homely and the gal is quite cute.

For maximal poignancy, you could read it as remembering a previous time when they were even younger and great pals… puppy love… until they entered the phase where looks and social status start to separate friends and (innocent) crushes of earlier childhood.

But couldn’t hazard more than that as a possible guess without more social context.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Gabriel Conroy

I sort of touched on this way back when I introduced Briggs:

Some are jokes that still resonate today, while others seem a little foreign or aren’t really punch-line jokes but what can only be described as “tickling familiarity” (The equivalent of tweets that start with TFW or “That Feeling When.”) Many of the themes he touched on would be familiar to today. Some would be considered sexist or racist, while others were surprisingly progressive in their own way.

This falls more in the TFW category.

There will be some I’ll introduce (called “Old Songs”) that I really have no idea what they are or what they represent. I’ll mostly be introducing them as filler but will be included for completeness sake.Report

• Avatar gabriel conroy in reply to Will Truman

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

(Tangentially speaking, I’m reminded of the Far Side cartoons. I loved them, but there were (and remain) a few I just don’t understand. But with that cartoon, there seems to have always been a punchline intended.)Report

• Avatar Kolohe in reply to gabriel conroy

I’m guessing also that ‘hard hit’ is a play on words for the term used in many sports (nowadays, American football, but back then, maybe also football, but perhaps boxing, or even baseball) and Cupid hit the young lad so hard he’s got to go under the concussion protocol.Report