Weekend Plans Post: Easter Sunday Brunch

Jaybird

1. Avatar Burt Likko

It’s Explore More Of Oregon Weekend! I’m taking a field trip to Bend over the weekend to hike in the Deschutes National Forest, and after that it’s off to Our Tod’s place for lamb on Sunday evening.Report

2. Avatar Maribou

Having a four-day weekend is a very good birthday present to myself. A few Boring Medical Things this morning and then after that nothing but social things and alone things in equal balance.

So lovely.Report

3. fillyjonk fillyjonk

Today I break my shopping fast. I need a few things, and I’m going to plan out something more involved (perhaps lamb loaf, something I’ve done a few times in the past) for Easter. Difficulty level: my 12 year old dishwasher broke this week, so I have to hand wash all the dishes (I don’t have time to arrange for the installation of a new one until maybe week after next: we are hiring, and interviews are eating a lot of my out-of-class time).

I did decide that I’m going to make myself an Easter basket this year. I loved it as a kid when my parents did them for my brother and me: a little bit of candy, maybe a small toy or a coloring book, but always a surprise. We’d go out (usually for Sunrise Service) and come back and the baskets would be there and also eggs to hunt for (dyed boiled eggs, and now I marvel that none of us ever got food poisoning after they probably sat out for several hours – I suspect my parents hid them while my brother and I were getting ready for church, then we went out to church).

So I’m going to get a small basket and maybe some paper “grass” (I never liked the plastic stuff) and a few small candies (I am an Adult, and I have some money, so I can buy the good candy) and maybe a small toy or some fun blindbag toys if I can find some. And put it together and then enjoy it Sunday after church.

I don’t have anyone to do an Easter basket for me (and anyway, most adults don’t) and I don’t have a child to do one for, so….

Other than that: I have some grading Saturday but if Saturday afternoon is nice I plan to work in the yard. Because of both internal (anxiety issues, the effort of search committees at work, allergies) and external (the news, man, the news), last week felt like it was about two months long.Report

4. Avatar Em Carpenter

I have to go to my mother-in-law’s house, which is bad enough, but my brother-in-law will be there. I last saw him at my father-in-law’s funeral two years ago and have vowed to never spend time in the same room with him again except in the event of another funeral. Somehow, I got tricked into this. My kids have been at my MIL’s house all week on spring break and we are going up to get them and oh, hey, it’s Easter so we’re staying all weekend and oh whoopsy BIL is coming too.
    But now my kids are all excited about Easter at memere’s house so off I go.

At least I will get my kids back. I’ve missed them.Report

5. Avatar Fish

Ooooh Sunday is Easter! That means the climbing gym will be mostly deserted! I plan on dragging the oldest boy out kicking and screaming as he needs some physical activity.Report

6. Avatar Aaron David

So the wife’s birthday is Sunday, which means fancy-schmancy white table cloth dinner on Saturday, followed by presents on Sunday. And I had no idea it was easter.

But Monday, I will be doing something similar to what Burt is doing, except going through Bend to Ontario! And up through Idaho to Washington. Making a nice little loop while I contemplate how to go forward with my business.Report

7. Avatar Jaybird

Ice Cream: Procured.

They don’t have Nestlé Crunch. I got Heath Bar instead.Report

8. Avatar Marchmaine

Catching, killing, cleaning, prepping and roasting one of our lambs on a spit for Easter… just like my Greek relatives (except one week earlier because the vernal equinox and the Julian Calendar do funky things in the dark… plus a 19-year Jewish cycle for Passover… plus differing interpretations of the Nicene canons… and well, a schism).

Also need to crank out a Pastichio today so its ready for tomorrow. That concludes my portion of the cooking duties… the rest are divvied up between everyone else. We’re hosting 3 families for a total of 30 folks (a couple of out-of-town guests and some grandparents) … mostly kids and (now) young adults.Report