And Then There Were None

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire.

1. Beautiful piece, Andrew. I would add that the Doolittle Raid may have annoyed the Japanese command enough to push them toward the confrontation at Midway, which proved to be the turning point of the war.Report

• There were quite a few repercussions, among other things-since you brought up the Midway battle-there is some evidence the Aulettians feint that opened that battle was based partially on the belief the raid originated from there not a carrier. But for this piece I wanted to leave the actual raid to others and focus on the fellowship of the men themselves. Report

2. Avatar fillyjonk says:

Thank you for this. I probably learned about the Doolittle Raid in school American History, but I was not aware of the whole memorial custom associated with it.Report

3. Avatar greginak says:

Really interesting piece. Thanks. I knew about the raid but not the memorial.Report

4. Avatar bookdragon says:

Thank you for this wonderful, touching piece.Report

5. Wonderful piece, Andrew. I’ve passed it along to my dad who I know will love it.Report

6. Avatar pillsy says:

Great piece. The news of the last member of the Doolittle Raid’s death flickered across my newsosphere yesterday, but this puts it in context wonderfully.Report

7. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I never knew about the goblets. Talk about an earned honor!

Rest in peace, LTC Cole. His passage is another milepost in the departure of the Greatest Generation. For whatever their flaws, they came together as a nation and saved the world from falling into tyranny. May we, their heirs and descendants, ever honor them and bring to bloom the freedom they bequeathed to us.Report

8. Tracy Downey Tracy Downey says: