Sunday Morning! Agnès Varda (1928-2019)

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Maribou says:

What a lovely remembrance.

I’ve been watching Halt and Catch Fire – which I thought would be fluff but very interesting because of it treating a time and style(s) I remember living in as historical melodrama – but is actually not fluff, it’s very very very well done, sharply written historical melodrama. Lee Pace is a gift as an actor, I can’t believe he’s been hidden in major costuming for so long … the curse of being 6’5″ I suppose.

And I’m about half way through the 2nd part of Sabrina, which *is* fluff, but very dark and self-aware and utterly charming fluff, my favorite kind.

I’ve tried reading any number of things but they aren’t catching – it’s not just books, I can’t even read emails with my usual speed and energy. Think it’s the spring fever 🙂

Listening to lots more music than usual, but none of it things y’all wouldn’t already be passingly familiar with…Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Maribou says:

My coworker keeps telling me to check out Sabrina and I mean to, but haven’t found the time yet. Not to mention the Criterion Channel went live today, so much of my life will have to be on hold for a bit!Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Rufus F. says:

I have got to get a subscription to this. I just got a new smart TV so I think I can.

Great write up on an underlooked director. I have only seen Gleaners, but it is a very moving film.Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Aaron David says:

I was going to say that stumbling across a new artist always leaves me in wonder. If someone brings it to my attention it never leaves me with the same sense of enchantment as the random feeling of unknowing.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

“Have you discovered something?”

What a lovely greeting.Report

3. Avatar j r says:

Thanks for this post. A long time ago I tried to watch some French New Wave films and European art films more broadly (Fellini, Bergman, etc.). I couldn’t really get into most if it. It could just be that I’m a philistine, but more precisely I think it’s that I have an affinity for narrative. It’s not that I need things to be plot driven. For instance, I love Terence Malick and David Lynch, but there is a tension there that I don’t find in the European art films.

Sometimes, I think maybe that I’m missing some of the subtleties of language and culture that I can pick up on with American/English language films. But really, I don’t know.

Any suggestions on films that might ease me into a broader appreciation of French New Wave?Report