No More Tender Vittles

Kristin Devine

Kristin is a geek, a libertarian, and a domestic goddess. She lives in a wildlife refuge in rural Washington state with too many children and way too many animals and works with women around the world as a fertility counselor. There's also a blog which most people would very much disapprove of https://atomicfeminist.com/

1. Avatar DensityDuck says:

The Modern Prometheus only kindled the fire which burns evermore, and Man is not Fire’s master. That was very well done! Thank you for sharing it with us.Report

2. Avatar fillyjonk says:

Yes, well done! Interesting moral questions there, especially about “do we kill these sentient beings in the interest of preventing the creation of more of them/finding those who are making them”

and what would happen if the sentient beings REALIZED they were being hunted? I could imagine it leading to guerilla bands of large predators taking on the Animal Control folks at every turn, and offering “protection” (perhaps at a steep price) to the smaller creatures.Report

3. Avatar bookdragon says:

Wow. That is an outstanding short story, Kristin. Thanks for sharing it.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird says:

This was fun (and chewy)!

Thank you!Report

5. Avatar Road Scholar says:

Wonderful! Fun story.Report

6. Avatar fillyjonk says:

I also have to say the title gave me a vivid sensory memory; the cat we had when I was a kid/young teen used to eat Tender Vittles. I can still *smell* them.Report

7. Avatar Maribou says:

Just adding to the chorus – I really enjoyed this for any number of reasons and most of ’em had to do with your skill as a writer.

I’m sure it says as much about me as about the story, but I particularly appreciated that I found the animals as easy to empathize with as the humans. Everyone just doing what they needed to do to get by, on one level.Report

8. Avatar James K says:

I really enjoyed this Kristin.Report

9. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Great story. And a really skillful job of blending in the exposition so it never interfered with the story’s flow.Report

10. Avatar pillsy says: