Trivia!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar atomickristin

somebody figure this out because I want to know the answer.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

I’ve only seen the 1985 Anne movie.

I’m assuming that you specifically mean the 1934 one…

edit: but if not, the Lady of Shallot scene has a lot in common with the strawberries trial.Report

3. Avatar Em Carpenter

I assumed the answer was Richard Farnsworth… but he wasn’t in the 1934 version? So maybe not…Report

4. Avatar Em Carpenter

Ohhh… now I know. But I cheated so I won’t say :X.Report

5. Avatar pillsy

The authors of both adapted novels lived to be over 100?

(Wild ass guess, but Wouk is still alive at 102 or 103!)Report

6. Avatar Kolohe

After digging deep into the weeds of the IMDB pages of both movies, I think I have an idea, but it’s rather tenuous.Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling

Hint: It’s about the on-screen talent.Report

• Avatar Kolohe in reply to Mike Schilling

Vg’f gung gur jbzra punatrq gurve fgntr anzrf gb gur punenpgre gurl cbegenlrq; anzrf gurl jbhyq tb ba gb hfr gur erfg bs gurve yvirf. Pbeerpg?

To be clear, I used the internet to get this answer, though there was no specific thing on the internet that said “hey, here’s a connection between these two movies”.Report

8. Avatar Mike Schilling

That’s it. I’d known about Mutiny for a long time, but just discovered the other day it was also true of Gables. They’re the only instances I know of.Report

9. Avatar Doctor Jay

Well, that’s totally different from, and much rarer than my guess, which is that they are both films from a novel where the novel’s author also worked on the screenplay. That’s not common, but it’s much more common than the thing you are referencing.Report

10. Avatar Mike Schilling

One more hint, in case anyone’s still playing: it’s specifically bout the films’ lead actresses.Report

11. Avatar Mike Schilling

In case anyone hasn’t already ROT13’ed it:

Both actress took the character’s name (Anne Shirley in Gables, May Wynn in Mutiny) as their stage name for the rest of their careers. Mutiny is a bit more interesting since the character was a singer actually named Marie Minotti, who took the less ethnic May Wynn as her stage name.Report