Tenshot: Into the Spiderverse

Michael Siegel

Michael Siegel is an astronomer living in Pennsylvania. He is on Twitter, blogs at his own site, and has written a novel.

1. After I wrote this, Cinema Wins put up his review, which I agree with. Also contains some insights on the visual style.

2. Avatar Oscar Gordon says:

I saw it in the theater by myself, since the volume of the theater still annoys my son too much, but as soon as it popped up on Amazon, I bought it, I loved it that much.

Then Bug and I had a movie night at home, and he was transfixed while holding his Spider-Man Lego minifig in his hands.

Clearly one of the best Marvel movies out there.Report

3. Avatar North says:

An absolute masterpiece of a movie and also shockingly funny. Also the cameo tribute to dear ol mercenary Stan Lee was very funny and appropriate. No refunds ever *grin*.Report

4. Avatar fillyjonk says:

I think I need to see this. I am not big on going out to the movies (people here can be really loud and annoying in the theater and also I had no one to go with, and I don’t like going alone) and I’m usually not big on superhero movies, but every person whose opinion I respect who has seen it was like “Wow, that was FUN” and I like fun movies.

I also enjoy the kind of mash-up things where different animation styles are used so I bet I’d enjoy this. (Maybe once my Lenten “buying frivolous stuff fast” is over, I’ll get it on dvd. I’ve already planned to get Paddington 2 after hearing tell it was fun)Report

5. For me, it is the best superhero movie, full stop. I am always jazzed whenever my kids want to watch it.

And the big emotional sequence coupled with Miles coming to believe in himself? That part is just masterful.Report

6. Avatar Doctor Jay says:

Suderman says (of Captain Marvel) “but there’s no big moment that truly sells her powers”. I disagree strongly. She destroys a spaceship by flying through it . It explodes. If that weren’t enough, there’s the offhand shot just before, “I have nothing to prove to you”. These are her powers. She is buttoned down, controlled, which is to say, military, and this does make her seem a bit distant.

But I did like Spiderverse better, anyway.Report

• Avatar Oscar Gordon in reply to Doctor Jay says:

And not just any spaceship, but one of those big, bad, armed and armored accuser dreadnoughts that got everyone anxious.Report

• I think we know why some folks looked at Captain Marvel and found it to be wanting, and it has nothing to do with the movies themselves, and everything to do with the people watching.Report

• Avatar veronica d in reply to Sam Wilkinson says:

It’s a shitty situation, because it is of course possible to just not like the movie. It’s also possible for a sexist dipshit to not like the movie because of sexist dipshittery, but who then grasps at straws to explain why they didn’t like the movie.

It’s a boring conversation. On the other hand, the sexist dipshits generally reveal their sexist dipshittery in so many other ways.Report

• Avatar pillsy in reply to veronica d says:

We need a stronger norm in favor of ignoring critics (armchair or otherwise) who’ve already demonstrated themselves to be sexist dipshits, thus increasing the likelihood criticisms we’re still listening to are not motivated by said dipshittery.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to pillsy says:

Like Red Letter Media?

Focus on the Family has Plugged In, a site devoted to making sure that consumers know not only whether a movie is good, but whether it’s Good.

(They also review television shows, music, and video games!)Report

• Avatar pillsy in reply to Jaybird says:

Like Red Letter Media?

Who are Red Letter Media?

Sorta the opposite of what I’m looking for. I want to know whether the movie is good, not whether it’s Good. People insisting that the movie isn’t Good because it has girl cooties just get in the way.Report

7. Avatar NoPublic says:

The new Spider Gwen books have been great, and seeing this made me want a Spider Gwen standalone movie so badly.
    Here’s hoping.Report