John Hickenlooper Enters 2020 Presidential Race

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

I know I say this with every new announcement but… this guy is running for VP.Report

• Hick’s two years older than I am. VP’s a dead-end job for him. Interior, or Energy. Ask yourself the question, “Who has accomplished more in the last two years? Pence? Or Pruitt/Zinke/Perry?”Report

• Worth expanding this comment some, I think…

I would give better odds for the Dems winning the White House than I would for their winning the Senate. Even if they win the Senate, they’re not going to have a veto-proof majority. Under reconciliation rules, the Senate can allocate money toward a Green New Deal, but they can’t implement actual policy changes. Federal progress on climate change — which is going to include vast policy changes about energy — is going to have to be done within the executive branch. That’s not impossible: the Trump administration has moved backwards on the topic by regulatory action within the executive branch.

There’s a case for Hickenlooper for any of Interior, Energy, or the EPA in a Democratic administration. He needs to rub elbows with the leading candidates, though, so that they think of him for those positions should the time come. Especially if the Dem candidate turns out to be a Senator from an Eastern state. The House GND resolution notwithstanding, progress is very likely going to require working out deals with the energy industry in order to avoid being tied up for years in court — something Hick has some experience with.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I suppose it’s illogical on my part to see Hick as someone willing to settle for VP.

That said, as dead-end jobs go, being a heartbeat away from being the most powerful person in the world (and presumed front-runner next time around if you win and one of the presumed front-runners if you lose) is a pretty sweet job prospect.Report

2. Avatar Marchmaine says:

My counter-intuitive thought for the day is that Parties (and by that I mean party leadership – broadly definned) that can’t vette and control the candidates they present to the public expose the lie that we have parties and not two semi-Public Government entities that are pre-built gateways to US Elections.

We must kill the parties in order to save them.Report

3. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

So far Hickenlooper is the closest thing to someone I can vote for that I have seen so far, but his age is still an issue for me. I’m really, really uncomfortable voting for anyone over 60 at this point and I think the Baby Boomers have had their shot and it’s time to move on.Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Anyone up for some Jay Inslee? He’s a Baby Buster — between the Boomers and the X’ers — and his wife is an actual X’er!. Plus he’s good on climate change and can raise dozens of dollars!Report

• Inslee is in one of my two top spots right now. He takes climate change very seriously but is more practical about it than the GND. Some actual executive branch experience, which I’m always in favor of. When we get to some actual debates, I’m hoping there are some questions that will play up that Harris/Inslee/Hickenlooper are from urban areas where the problems are mostly that they are too successful, versus the East Coast and Rust Belt folks with the crumbling cities problem (eg, GM shutting down Lordstown).Report

5. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Every one of these guys, even the really silly ones, are better than Trump.

Also if Hickenlooper starts calling himself Johnny, his name works in “Gary, Indiana” from The Music Man.Report