Yes, Selma Blair. We are Doing It.

Tracy Downey

Tracy Downey

I'm just a simple story maker longing to make the world a better place, while butterflies dance inside my head.

1. Avatar Oscar Gordon

Related to this, in my recent Tech Tuesday, there are two links to interesting, dare I say exciting, news regarding those who suffer autoimmune diseases (item TT8).Report

2. Avatar aaron david

I was diagnosed with MS just under a year ago. As many around here know, I am a long time commenter and occasional writer for OT. And god, does it suck.Report

• Avatar Tracy Downey in reply to aaron david

Nice to meet you Aaron! I have SPMS What DMDdo you take? I was on betaseron for over a decade, then neuro put me on tecfidera with disastrous results-Aubagio I did not like, kept losing my hair. Ampyra, Aricept and modafinil I cannot live without. Ocrevus is next. Thank you for responding, and God Bless you. 🙏🏻❤️Report

• Avatar Aaron David in reply to Tracy Downey

I am on Glatiramer Acetate, three times a week. We are not sure where I am at on the spectrum of the disease yet, as the diagnosis was so recent. And I bought a Raleigh three-wheel bicycle recently, for when I can’t ride my other bikes.Report

• Avatar Tracy Downey in reply to Aaron David

Well you are not, and never will be alone. I think what’s terribly frightening for many newly diagnosed is fearing the unknown. I have this simple rule that keeps me going- there’s always someone worse off than you. That simple truth humbles and motivates me to pick myself up and keep going. Faith in the unknown is life’s journey. God is in control.❤️🙏🏻Report

3. Avatar atomickristin

What a beautiful piece Tracey! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. What a treasure.Report

4. Avatar North

This is an exquisite piece. My maternal Grandmother died from MS and science isn’t definitive as to if it is hereditary or not so I view MS with a wary “there but for the grace of God(ess?) go I” respect much as one would view a sleeping dinosaur.
    Thank you for sharing Tracey!Report

5. Avatar greginak

Good piece. My wife has MS. She isn’t affected bit it much at this point but she has some other stuff that affects her. Look forward to hearing from you more.Report

6. Avatar Lani Fellows

Thank you for sharing your story. What an inspirational start to MS Awareness month.Report

7. Avatar Dona Freitas

What a great message for everyone! My daughter was recently diagnosed and we have been through a whirlwind — 5-day hospital stay, tests after tests — then MS –anger, fear, worry, the unexpected or fear of the unknown — the lack of control, etc. It’s so great when someone tells what they have experienced and how they have kept on going in spite of it all! Bravo to you for helping others; I know this article was very helpful and uplifting for me. Thank you for sharing!Report

• Avatar Michael Siegel in reply to Dona Freitas

Sorry to hear about your daughter. Just let her know that it’s not the end of the world. Lots of people live with this disease and have great full lives. One of the big keys we’ve found is mental health. My wife’s MS always gets worse when she’s stressed. So keeping things positive, sometimes with some help from the neurologist, goes a long way.

OH! And Vitamin D! There’s a lot of research — some done by my wife — that hows that Vitamin D levels are critical to keeping MS under control. So lots of sunlight and use supplements or even tanning beds in the winter.Report

• Avatar Tracy Downey in reply to Michael Siegel

If it makes you feel any better… I understand that completely. I haven’t had much luck in guys ready to take on the disease. My marriage ended over it and the last relationship… yeah… to love someone with MS means a deeper commitment and that scares men. So I’m not surprised, Michael. I admire you because you give me hope. 😊🙏🏻❤️Report

8. Avatar Kolohe

Good piece, and best wishes to keep on keeping on doing it.Report

9. Avatar Michael Siegel

Thanks for writing this. My wife was diagnosed with MS in 2004. She has some trouble walking and a few other issues, but thanks to good insurance and Copaxone, it’s mostly under control. To give you an idea of how bad the stigma can be, though: we were engaged when she got diagnosed and multiple people asked me if I was going to go ahead and marry her.

14 years and two kids later, we’re find (pregnancy, it turns out, is really good for MS).Report

10. Avatar Fran

30 years now I’ve been fighting this pregnancy is bad pregnancies good this is good that’s good it’s said that they tell you guys now what they told me 30 years ago they will need to stop talkin and start finding the Cure I’m doneReport

11. Avatar Sandy

What a beautiful piece of writing! Thank you so much for this. My daughter has just been diagnosed with MS. She has also Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, diagnosed about 10 years ago, so sorting out which symptoms relate to which illness is a bit challenging. Apparently people with EDS have a 10% increased risk of MS.Report

12. Avatar Philip H

This is a courageous piece about courageous people. Never underestimate your power to guide us all.Report

13. Avatar Arlyn

Thank you for sharing your story about Multiple sclerosis and for inspiring us. Please continue writing good articles.Report