Messed Up Love Songs

Kristin Devine

Kristin is a geek, a libertarian, and a domestic goddess. She lives in a wildlife refuge in rural Washington state with too many children and way too many animals and works with women around the world as a fertility counselor. There's also a blog which most people would very much disapprove of https://atomicfeminist.com/

1. Avatar pillsy

My favorite fucked up love song is probably the Afghan Whigs’ “What Jail is Like”.

Also I’m a big fan of that Garbage song, which is not a garbage song.

What can I say? I was a teenager in the ’90s.Report

2. Avatar Silver Wolf

Crystal Castles ft. Robert Smith – Not in loveReport

3. Avatar KenB

My favorites (probably a good thing I’m already married):

I Hold Your Hand in Mine
    Skullcrusher MountainReport

4. Avatar Em Carpenter

I love this! All my favorite love songs are of the obsessed/crazy/toxic love variety so this is right up my alley. You even named a few of them- #1 Crush, Love the Way You Lie, Bad Romance.
    Also, Make Me Wanna Die by The Pretty Reckless
    A bunch of Fiona Apple
    Call Me a Dog by Temple of the Dog
    Sanctified by NIN
    Habits by Tove Lo
    I could go on but I won’t.
    Great piece Kristin!Report

5. Avatar Richard Hershberger

Then there is the “file a restraining order now!” genre. The classic example is, of course, The Police’s Every Breath You Take. But this is my favorite. It starts out as a classic “she done him wrong” song, until it comes out that the wrong was telling him to go away, But he won’t let that stop him! Disturblingly enough, I think this is meant to be romantic, not a giant red flag.

6. Avatar Vikram Bath

Gotta get my nine inch nails in.
    Reptile from the Downward Spiral
    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhkXxmnYHc?start=55&w=560&h=315%5D

And an earlier one. Sin from Pretty Hate Machine:
    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWdjtMmqGo?start=55&w=560&h=315%5DReport

7. Avatar LeeEsq

There are only three types of love songs:
    1. Baby, I love you
    2. Baby, I love you and miss you
    3. Baby, I love you and want to get into your pantsReport

8. Avatar Sam Wilkinson

I don’t like Bruce Springsteen much, but “The Fever” is pretty damned tough to beat.

9. Avatar bookdragon

Meatloaf has some amazing messed up love songs. Everyone knows “Paradise by the Dashboard Light”, but there’s “2 Out 3 Ain’t Bad” and far lesser know “Dead Ringer for Love” which has this wonderfully duet ending with this set of lyrics:

“..You got the kind of mind that does less than think
    But since I’m feeling kinda lonely and my defenses are low
    Why don’t you give it a shot and get it ready to go
    I’m looking for anonymous and fleeting satisfaction
    And I want to tell my daddy I’ll be missing in action
    Ever since I can remember I’ve been hanging ’round this joint
    My daddy never noticed, now he’ll finally get the point
    You got me beggin’ on my knees, c’mon and throw the dog a bone
    A man he doesn’t live by rock ‘n roll and brew alone
    Baby baby Rock ‘n roll and brew, rock ‘n roll and brew
    They don’t mean a thing when I compare ’em next to you
    Rock ‘n roll and brew, rock ‘n roll and brew
    I know that you and I oh we got better things to do
    I don’t know who you are or what you do, or where you go when you’re not around
    I don’t know anything about you baby, but you’re everything
    I’m dreaming of I don’t know who you are, but you’re a real dead ringer for love
    A real dead ringer for love
    Dead ringer for love
    Dead ringer for love, dead ringer?”Report

10. Avatar JoeSal

Good stuff Kristin.

Ain’t No Sunshine-Bill Withers
    Paint it Black-The Rolling Stones
    Sundown-Gordon Lightfoot
    Drops of Jupiter-Train
    The Valley Road-Bruce Hornsby and the Range
    Dark Nights-Dorothy
    Cold Cold Heart-Hank Williams
    Rose in Paradise-Waylon JenningsReport

11. Avatar Murali

Add to this list a lot of stuff from Halestorm for instance

I’m pretty surprised that Alanis Morisette is not in this list

12. Avatar Saul Degraw

No “See How We Are?” by X

13. Avatar Saul Degraw

Or we can stick with poetry. Here is Having a Coke with You by Frank O’Hara:

14. Avatar Saul Degraw

The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side by the Magnetic Fields:

15. Avatar Saul Degraw

Disco 2000 by Pulp:

• Avatar atomickristin in reply to Oscar Gordon

I read a lot of books from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s and people used to be quite mean to each other. It was largely codified into society (as the vinegar valentines prove)

I sometimes wonder if we just were so lucky to live through a brief and shining period of history where people looked askance at freely criticizing one another, and the era of social media is just a return to form. Humans doing more of their human thing.Report

16. Avatar Saul Degraw

Babies by Pulp

17. Avatar Saul Degraw

Also the great Common People by Pulp

18. Avatar Aaron David

Ahem, Loverman by Nick Cave

L is for LOVE, baby
    O is for O yes I do
    V is for VIRTUE, so I ain’t gonna hurt you
    E is for EVEN if you want me to
    R is for RENDER unto me, baby
    M is for that which is MINE
    A is for ANY old how, darling
    N is for ANY old time

19. Avatar Marchmaine

A love song for… a Road? Well, it is Lake Shore Drive.

But isn’t the Anthem for Ironic Love songs: Song for Whoever
    {We were so young}

I started make an Ironic Love Song list, but stopped when I realized it was mostly just Beautiful South songs. The again, given our demographics, maybe this is the Perfect messed-up love song for Valentines.Report

20. Avatar Jaybird

Mamacita by Outkast is spectacularly messed up.

21. Avatar Mike Schilling

“Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right”, in which Dylan tries to tells a woman he’s leaving, except that she’s never paid him any attention before, so why should she start now?Report

22. Avatar LeeEsq