Rise and Clean Your Own House, Starting with Eric Porterfield

Andrew Donaldson

Born and raised in West Virginia, Andrew has since lived and traveled around the world several times over. Though frequently writing about politics out of a sense of duty and love of country, most of the time he would prefer discussions on history, culture, occasionally nerding on aviation, and his amateur foodie tendencies. He can usually be found misspelling/misusing words on Twitter @four4thefire.

1. Avatar pillsy says:

Holy cow, is he talking about Milo’s thing?

On Wednesday, he used the anti-gay slur “f—-t” in a committee meeting, within the context of quoting the name of a speaking tour that uses the term in its title.

Obviously that’s hardly the most important thing about the story, but still it’s a weird little detail.Report

2. It is worth noting, perhaps, that Porterfield’s blindness is the result of an altercation more than a decade ago. That altercation has not been explained further, at least so far as I can find.Report

• Avatar Kolohe in reply to Sam Wilkinson says:

yeah, was about to same thing when I read this portion

Remember that pattern: instigate, make a scene, claim victimhood afterwards. You will see it again.

Because a very likely scenario is that Porterfield started a bar fight but someone else finished it, and now Porterfield is blind.

That scenario also covers the rest of the deadly sins missing from Portfield’s TV interview.Report

• There is no solid sourcing, so I left it out, but basically several people “altercated” with Portfield which left him blind. Details beyond that are subject to rumor.Report

3. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Weird that he seems to think “the LGBTQ” is an organisation like the NAACP or the EFF or something.Report

4. Avatar LeeEsq says:

I suppose the statue is supposed to be Lincoln in a toga but it looks more like Lincoln in a bathrobe.Report

5. Avatar CJColucci says:

What, no inbreeding jokes?Report

6. Avatar Rufus F. says:

Beautiful country. Have you read Breece D’J Pancake’s stories?Report

• Avatar Em Carpenter in reply to Rufus F. says:

Oh yes. Underappreciated treasure and I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone outside of WV who has heard of him.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Rufus F. says:

Yes I think he’s pretty much a secret held by West Virginians and select writers. I grew up in Virginia and moved to Toronto when I was thirty and soon after a great poet there said “Hey, since you love writing and you’re from the other Virginia, you will love this book.”Report

7. Does Porterfield have designs on the presidency? He seems like the next step in W -> Palin -> Trump.Report

8. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

I try to understand West Virignia/rural pride in general but my blue, coastal city self always runs into issues.

The urban v. rural divide is as old as the Untied States itself. It perhaps even goes back to the Colonial days. Part of the fight between Hamilton and Jefferson was about the future of the United States and whether it should be based on cities, commerce, and manufacturing or whether it should be Jefferson’s pastoral paradise. There has always been a strong current in the United States that rural Americans are more real, more authentic, more sincere, and more moral than their city-dwelling counterparts.

There is of course a huge amount of anti-other, anti-immigrant, and anti-minority rhetoric behind these views. Even liberals can get them though, when I was taking the bar, there was a woman from another law school there. She went to law school at Hastings (another law school in SF) and wanted to be a public defender but she was from rural Texas and referred to country people as “real people.” I held my tongue but wanted to challenge her.

I know that there are liberals in rural areas, minorities in rural areas, and LBGT people in rural areas but I have a hard time giving rural residents any benefit of good-faith over continued claims of being “more real.” What does that mean? I’m a suburban and a city guy but I don’t feel less real for it.

Guys like this don’t help me develop warm fuzzies for the country/rural areas.Report